Skip to main content

Wild Violet Jelly

 

I had a request to share the final wild violet jelly after it was processed and made, and I am finally getting the photos together to share that.   I apologize for the delay.


2 cups of wild violets with 2 cups of boiling water poured over them to infuse).  I was told to let it sit up to 24 hours, but I have let my infusion stay in the fridge after that for up to 3 days.  Strain the flowers from the liquid.

Add juice of one organic lemon.  The mixture turns from a blue-ish color to a more pink color.

Add the liquid to a pot on the stove, and add one box of powdered pectin.  Stir and bring to a boil.

Don't forget to get canning pot ready and prepare jars and lids.

Once it comes to a boil, add 4 cups of sugar and bring to a hard boil for 1 minute.

Fill jars with 1/4 inch head space, wipe rims, add lids and I put my jars in a water bath for 15 minutes.  The recipe I was shared, did not have a water bath time, but most jelly recipes say 10 minutes.

There are many recipes online for this jelly, and I read some stated add 1/4 cup lemon juice.

The lemon I squeezed measured exactly 1/4 cup, but not all lemons are the same size.  I have always used the juice of one lemon either way.



The recipe I used made about 8 - 4 oz. jars.



The final jelly is delicious.  I guess I would say a fruity? Either way, it turns into a beautiful colored jelly, delicious, and gift worthy.

I think I gifted this one year for Christmas, but to be honest cannot remember.  It doesn't make a lot, so we tend to consume it all ourselves, and the pantry thieves (kids) take a few too).

Enjoy! Do some research on your own on foraging wild violets. My next venture is to research more recipes using them in breads, salads, and cookies.

Yes, I have made dandelion jelly too, but for the amount of work, it really lacks flavor (just my opinion).  We do like the flavor of homemade Queen Anne's Lace jelly (also a fruity-ish flavor), but the color is almost clear for that jelly (note:  I am told if you are trying to get pregnant, do not consume the Queen Anne's Lace Jelly, but do your own research please).

I have also baked Dandelion Bread, and we loved it.  In fact, I totally forgot about it, with the dandelion season springing into action.  Although we mow often, so picking them is hit or miss, but the bread is delicious and worth the time to make (according to my taste tester reviews here).

Wild Violet Jelly  ©  May 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Sandi said…
Does it taste flowery?
Sandi, no, nor does it taste "perfumey" if that is a word ha ha! It's more of a sweet fruit (?) flavor.
It is such a pretty jelly
Far Side of Fifty, it is isn't it?
Anne in the kitchen, it makes a very pretty jelly, and why I think it makes a great gift too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart