Skip to main content

Blind Date with a Puzzle ~ Meal from the Freezer

 We have been having some beautiful weather here lately.  I however, have not put laundry out on the line, as we call this "bird" season.  Flocks of them are in the area, so as soon as they move on out, I will be able to enjoy the clothesline once again.



We purchased a "blind date" with a puzzle back on January 31st, from an area local store, while out on a getaway.  However, we paid $18.00 for this puzzle, and when we got it home, it was a used puzzle (box was falling apart).  I never saw any signage that stated the puzzles were used, so my husband insisted we purchase a 1,000 piece one.  

Well, we finished the puzzle finally. 


(puzzle is a portrait by a famous artist)






There were two puzzle pieces in the box that did not even go to the puzzle.





As we predicted, there were pieces missing from the puzzle.  We plan to donate the puzzle pieces to a place that recycles them with art/crafts.  Very disappointed.  We won't make this mistake again.

We have however, purchased two new puzzles.  I'll be back to share photos of them soon.  I, honestly, was not going to get more puzzles, as our weather is warming up here, but we did.


It's been so nice to pull the our homemade stuffed, garden bell peppers from the freezer.  I just top with more tomato sauce to bake them, and top with some mozzarella cheese.  It's a meal in itself, and we get to enjoy our "fruits from our labor" garden.

In the past years, I blanched the bell peppers.  I do not blanch them anymore.  The stay crispy, and bake up so delicious.  If you blanch them, they bake up too soft and more of a soggy bell pepper.  I prepare the stuffing mix myself, then stuff the fresh grown bell peppers (I cut in half lengthwise vs. cut the tops off), wrap each with saran wrap, and store them all in freezer containers.  The end result is a quick, healthy and delicious meal.

There are many ways to utilize growing bell peppers, if you are considering it this garden season.  We made breakfast egg filled bell peppers, we have cut them in rings and made "eggs in a nest" for breakfast, we have made oven baked bell pepper rings (like onion rings), stuffed bell pepper soup, and of course we freeze them in diced size and sliced for future meals.  Fresh bell peppers are healthy snack tools for hummus and other healthy toppings or dips.

Blind Date with a Puzzle ~ Meal from the Freezer  ©  March 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Katie C. said…
I agree about the peppers. I freeze both regular peppers and jalapeño peppers. I tend to freeze them in strips and dice them frozen. I haven’t frozen any of the stuffed ones because last year the shapes and sizes just were not conducive for stuffing.

That’s a shame about the puzzle. I have three I got as Christmas presents. One is done so far.

My first daffodil has bloomed! Late for us this year.
Katie C. Our bell peppers are never the consistent size, but we still stuff them. Yes, a shame about the puzzle. I have sent a message to the store, but no answer yet. No daffodils here yet, and yes it is much later this year for us too. Hopefully, I'll see some soon.
I really like stuffed peppers. 🫑
Debby@My Shasta Home, they are very good right? Yum.
Sorry your puzzle was missing pieces, that is a bummer.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart