Skip to main content

Cleaning and Organizing ~ Books ~ Wild Violets ~ Homemade Rosehip Infused Oil

I'm getting some odd jobs crossed off the to-do list lately.  One was to wash the bed cover and bottom sheet from the spare mattress upstairs, and to wash a quilt we took out of storage for a few overnight guests.  They were all dried on the clothesline and put back into storage until we get cracking on the upstairs repairs and updates.

I'm sort of rotating from room to room, trying to get things cleaned up, organized, and back to normal, but some rooms like the utility room and the upstairs will take a lot of work yet.

I'm working on a few lighting options for two other rooms.  We've already began the search, but it's not on the important list, so it's whenever we are out, sort of fun searching.

I'm ordering items I need for the vegetable garden, but I do need a trip to the garden store soon.  I'm ready to tackle the flower beds as soon as the rain leaves this week.


I started a small batch of rosehip oil, but I had to re-order my organic jojoba oil.  Sheesh, the price of it has really gone up (what hasn't?), but it's still cheaper than to buy the oil already made for skin purposes.  I just learned that this infusion is not only good for age spots, but for scars too.  Interesting to learn new useful information, but I try to get most of my knowledge from books.

Speaking of books, I just put in an inter-loan order for another book that my husband thinks I should have.  I'll update you later when the book comes in.


Did you know that this book contains a ton of recipes from the TV show America's Test Kitchen?  They won't let you read the recipes online unless you have a membership, but even with the minimal membership I cannot access their TV show recipes.  I came across this gigantic book (not to get myself in trouble with so many recipes ha ha!) and am glad I did.  I can get this book for free, any time I want, from our library inter-loan program.  I used to love watching their show, but have not been able to for over year (no cable etc here).  I loved watching them test kitchen utensils and other foods, looking for the best buy etc. P.S. The book has over 1,000 recipes.


I have spotted a few wild violets already.  This particular color is the one I use to can the wild violet jelly I posted about.

Comments

Katie C. said…
I learned most of my cooking skills watching PBS cooking shows. ATK was one of them. Our library carries a lot of their cookbooks too. I just found a new one you might search for: “ATK Kitchen Gear.” I even ended up buying a copy too because I had an Amazon credit. Aside from the full blown “all episodes” book, try finding “The Best Skillet Recipes” and “The Best American Classics” cookbooks. There are more but I especially like the first one. It has a great one pan baked ziti recipe that we’ve made many times and isn’t less dishes always best?! 😉

We started our tomato and pepper seeds inside this week. Snap peas were also direct sown outside - we were a bit late with that one. I think they were supposed to be planted around St. Patrick’s Day. We have to lay some mesh netting over the bed so the squirrels don’t eat the seeds. My two rosemary plants survived the winter this year and the oregano is bouncing back as usual. I wish the weeds wouldn’t bounce back quite so well …

Take care, Katie C.
Katie C, thank you for the book suggestions. I will have to check our library for those. I loved watching their show too. I learned so much, and I bought a tool for cleaning my bell peppers, by watching one cook and her tip (a local person made the tools). I too have rodents, and I am about to get the garden tilled, and get out our solar garden alarms to deter the rodents before planting. Ha ha, I agree on the weeds.
knittingaddict said…
https://www.youtube.com/@AmericasTestKitchen Not a whole show but still has kitchen test items and some recipes.
knittingaddict, thank you so much. I didn't even think about checking youtube.
Jackie said…
Rose hip oil sounds very, very interesting. Must do some research.

God bless.
Jackie, I just came across a recipe for an oil, that starts with rosehip oil, and since my computer did a re-start, my tabs when "poof!" They usually restore. Once I have the link again, I will share it.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart