Skip to main content

Pea Casserole

 I was intrigued to try a new pea recipe, but did not want to use the canned condensed soup it required.  In the end, I think I did too much over thinking with this dish.



I did a little research, and whipped up my own condensed soup in it's place.  I will be tweaking it as we try my homemade condensed golden mushroom soup.  I basically used the directions for homemade condensed mushroom soup, but changed the broth from chicken to beef and added other ingredients, still using the shallots and mushrooms.



As for the pea casserole, here are the 3 ingredients to make it...

2 - 12 oz bags of organic (or home grown) frozen peas, cooked

1 can of golden mushroom soup (hence the homemade "can")

1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

Once the peas are cooked, mix in other ingredients, pour into a baking dish and bake at 350°F


My opinion?  I didn't think it was absolutely out of this world good, but it wasn't bad either.  It lacked flavor.  I think I need to continue to add a few more ingredients, but we will be looking for more ways to dress up peas from now on.  Maybe more organic soy sauce or possibly add Braggs Liquid Aminos.  Maybe more onion, and some garlic?

I have researched most recipes online for ingredients for "Golden Mushroom Soup."  What would you add for flavor?  I honestly think you could just use the homemade mushroom soup and maybe add some organic beef bouillon or homemade beef bouillon. 

Do you have a favorite way to dress up peas?  I wonder if just sprinkling some parmesan cheese on it would be tasty?  I googled for recipes, and most have a breaded topping.  


Pea Casserole © Nov 2023 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

M. Meyers said…
We love this but you might consider it a "summer" salad:

Broccoli Slaw
1 bag of broccoli slaw
honest roasted peanuts
frozen peas
poppy seed dressing

The friend gave these "non=specific" directions:
I don't list amounts because it is to your liking and the slaw comes in different size bags. I tend to put a lot of peanuts and peas. You must make it ahead of time to let the sugar from the peanuts needs to blend with the dressing. I put the peas in FROZEN, so they need time to thaw."
M.Meyers, thanks. My SIL makes something similar to this. Sounds delicious.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart