Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, August 8, 2022

Happy Homemaker Monday

 




The rain has brought on the garden.  More rain is coming, and the bell peppers look great.

My husband and I took a short weekend getaway to a nearby Amish country.  We checked out their new flea market, but wasn't impressed.  We did however, bring home some items for the newly repaired/remodeling bathroom.  It's now all put together and looking nice.

We stayed one night in a historic hotel we stayed at years ago.  I was so disappointed with the new owners.  They completely took the "nostalgic" away from the hotel.  The parlor was completely remodeled into a quilt room.  It was one of the reasons I loved that hotel.  No more.  Our room we stayed at years ago, now has no refrigerator nor microwave. We brought food with us, and could not keep it cold, nor heat it up, and the other rooms also had no refrigerator.  I was blown away at this....

Literally in front of the toilet. See the toilet paper?  We checked out and got coffee at the flea market.  The bed was comfortable, but the whole "nostalgic" part is the reason we liked to stay there.  The new owners just destroyed the original, "real" historic part of the hotel.



We came home, and unloaded, and searched every bag we brought home.  My husband lost our keys.  Not kidding.  Somewhere walking into or out of the hotel, while reaching into his pocket, lost our keys.  No one turned them in either.  Thank goodness I had the spare truck keys, and luckily, I had the only spare house key in my purse.  We never found the lost keys, and like I said, no one turned them in, and thankfully the truck was still there when we checked out.  You just can't trust anyone anymore.....anyway, as of this morning, still no keys.   

We were on the porch thinking the hotel would call, but we just got a visit from a butterfly.

We invited 3 people to dinner, but not one came over.  We grilled chicken with apple bourbon BBQ sauce, corn and camper potatoes.  It was truly humid, but we did get rain during our grill out dinner.




Today I am joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.
I will link up when she posts.

The weather . . . 
Hot, humid and rain.  It's been awfully humid and hot, up in the 100's and I think we will finally get a break this week.


As I look outside my window . . .
It's cloudy, and we may get more rain this morning.


Right now I am . . .
Drinking coffee to get my bearings straight this morning.


Thinking and pondering . . .
While on our weekend getaway, I talked to someone who just removed wallpaper from their house.  I will be looking into renting a steamer to remove the wallpaper from the upstairs room.

I only have trash to remove up there as well, and then we start on that room, but now we are discussing building the new coop next.

We have friends/family in the demolition derby tonight, but the heat and humidity will keep us home.  Not to mention it will rain again tonight.

I've been asked to make up and donate a basket for a silent auction for our family members raising money for an adoption.  I have not decided on my theme for it yet.  I have the basket, but have nothing in it just yet.


How I am feeling . . .
Exhausted, ha ha!  I think the heat and humidity just did us in last night.


On the breakfast plate . . .
Have no idea just yet.


What I am wearing . . .
Sweatpants and a tank top.  


On the reading pile . . .
More of Mom's recipes.


On my TV this week . . . 
Whatever looks interesting


On the menu . . .
-leftovers for starters since no one joined us for dinner
-have no idea yet


Looking around the house . . .
Well, my kitchen floor is still piled with donations.  The people that were coming to take it never showed up.  It may be going in the barn after the rain quits.


The to-do list . . .
-can hot pepper mustard sauce
-laundry
-plan meals
-unpack suit case
-make a new recipe
-plant another honeysuckle the birds gifted us
-check garden
-plan a camping trip
-freeze green/wax beans


From the camera . . .

The new small item I am making for the holiday craft show.  Daughter E has been wearing a few for her recent Hippie Fest, and suggested I give her business cards.  I do have them, but they need updated.



Devotional/Prayers . . .
Our small town pets.  Someone found their cat cut "perfectly" cut in half and now we are worried someone is out killing people's pets.  What a cruel world we live in right now.





8 comments:

Jean said...

What a gorgeous swallowtail butterfly! Cute hair barrettes, I bet those will be super popular. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jean, thank you. I'm hoping the hair clips sell. I wanted something lower priced and small to sell.

Luludou said...

Love the hair clips. Sorry you did not enjoy your sleep at the hotel. Hope the humidity leaves soon. I would've gladly joined you for your bbq-lunch.
Have a great week

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Luludou. I hope to get more of the hair clips made before late fall.

Sandra said...

It always breaks my heart when new owners don't preserve the historic ambience of a place. And I couldn't have done the coffee near the toilet either, like why would they think that is ok? hahaha

Have a blessed week,
Sandra
xoxo

Jodi said...

That's a bummer the place you stayed at has lost its appeal! That bugs me when new owners change things! The grilled dinner looks yummy!! Cute hair clips!! Have a great week!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandra, this is not the first time the hotel put the coffee pot in the bathroom, but this tops it all. Directly next to the toilet. Ugh.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Jodi, I plan to make more hair clips. My daughters think they will sell quickly.