Skip to main content

Fun Finds ~ Hot Banana Peppers and other ramblings

 While shopping in Amish country, we walked thru a few antique stores, and I found a butter dish to match my salt and pepper shakers.  By the way, there was one store that had a ton of this Jadeite in their booth.




I also found a few more mini hen and nests for the cubbies in the kitchen.  


I double checked the garden, and had enough for a half batch of hot pepper mustard sauce.  Those have left the kitchen.  Now I need to go check on the jalapenos.  I'm glad I checked the tomatoes.  Some of the tomato stakes had to be straightened again.


I tried a new fresh salsa recipe and it was so good!  We are getting tomatoes from the garden now.  I also made a lemon cheese cake pie that was also a new recipe.  It's a keeper.

Another produce stand has closed their doors.  I counted on them, when I needed just a few more hot banana peppers for my canning recipe.  Sigh.  More and more small town restaurants are now closing their doors at 2-3pm, and not open for dinner anymore (lack of employees, which I just don't understand).

I was just told that the large oil company my husband works for is being bought out.  He's been told the insurance for us will be better, but I hope it doesn't change any of his retirement.  


Comments

Latane Barton said…
keeping my fingers crossed about your husband's company take over by a new outfit. That could be scary but I hope it works out for your benefit.
Faith said…
love that butter dish, and the hen dishes. I have one in light green that I use to keep salt in, we are going at the end of September and I wanted to find another one they are so cute. I cannot comment on your comment on my blog for the moment. Now I can't even remember what I was going to say anyway. I don't can anymore got to dangerous for me. I do freeze the Kentucky Wonder beans we are harvesting. Such a joy to harvest from your own place. I hope that the buy out will not affect your family adversely. Well, if this shows up anonymous, it's me Faith from CrochetbytheSea.
Latane, it is very scary. Hopefully it will be better, but I guess we'll see.
Faith, I am still looking for a specific color of hen and nest. I saw a blue one at the new Ohio Market, but have that color already. It was with the antique part of the market. It was only $8.99 too. It may still be there.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart