Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

New Recipe ~ Garden is getting planted

 

We cooked up of what may be the last of of this year's harvest of asparagus.  My favorite way to prepare this for a dinner side is to bake it 20 minutes with olive oil, crushed rosemary, salt and pepper at 400°F.

Tried another new recipe.  Daughter K had bought some pasta shells that needed used up.  It takes beef stock, tomato sauce and other ingredients.  I adjusted it with homemade and organic ingredients and the family loved it.  I used the recipe at Damn Delicious called Creamy Beef and Shells. I will be adding more garlic next time.

Tomatoes finally made it in the ground.  I was done by 10am, as it was already very hot (90°F day).  I planted way less than normal, so it will be interesting.  I planted 35 Amish Paste (not my usual San Marzano), 1 Big boy and 1 cherry tomato.  The planting resumes after the rain stops.  I'm tickled pink for the rain today though.  We needed it and the tomatoes love it.

I'm getting more crocheted water balloons made for the grandkids.  I may get more done today as well.  It will be a less stressed day for sure with the rain.

The chickens are doing well, although I still need to muck the coop.  I boiled more eggs for egg salad (for those hot evenings we want cold food).  Last night was one of them.





No comments: