Skip to main content

Good Day for a Pie ~ Dry Skies

 

Garden goodness yesterday.  More asparagus and first cutting of rhubarb this year.




Although I need a trip to the "big city" for supplies, I decided to surprise my husband with a strawberry rhubarb pie.  It's been quite a long time since I have baked any pie.  Oh my, I must not have had enough coffee before starting on this, ha ha ha!  I grabbed my deep dish pan and didn't realize it until I put the filling in, then I didn't cut the lattice pieces that even.  


However, I cut exactly enough rhubarb for the recipe.  I use the recipe found at Sally's Baking Addition.  I use pie crust crumble crust recipe from King Arthur (where you freeze the dough and add ice water when you pull it from the freezer to use).

Rain has not arrived as predicted, and things are very very dry outside.  Watering it all by hand, and thankful I haven't yet got the vegetable garden in.  However, the dry ground is making it difficult for tilling.

Comments

Chasity said…
The pie looks yummy,thanks for the recipe! p.s. thanks for the tick recipe on your last post. Think I'll give it a try.
hoosier girl said…
Oh my, that looks good! I have to water the garden here, also.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart