Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

April Warm Up

 


(sunrise)

We hit a high of 85°F yesterday.  It was a gorgeous day (but overly windy) for hanging laundry on the line, but too dry to weed flower beds. The rain arrives today and tomorrow, so weeding will be easy after that.


The world we live it is scary right now.  I'm told to be careful wearing anything to support the police.  Not sure I'll get very many of my blue thin line hats sold this coming fall.


I offered to take Mom to Amish for a Mother's Day gift, but she cannot go, but has plans to go another time with someone else.  Not sure what to do for Mother's day for her yet.


I literally got straight into the extreme clean mode, garbage bag in hand, box for donations, and the phone rang.  It was my husband.  He was taking the afternoon off to help Daughter T move a bed to her new apt.  Off went the cleaning mode, other than I boxed up some dishes for her and grabbed bed pillows for her new place.  Not only did we load the bed, but had to take it up 2 flights of stairs.  It's a cute apt. though.

So far, no rain yet this morning, but it's on the way.  I'm okay with that.  It'll put me back into extreme clean mode.

I am sad about our youngest moving out, but plan to help her as much as I can.  We were secretly hoping the Daughter K would be moving out this year, but it doesn't sound like it.  I hate to say it, but her housekeeping skills make you roll your eyes.  I don't feel guilty charging her rent. She dumped the dog food into the storage container, threw the bag over the half door that leads into my utility room (which is directly across the hall from the door to the driveway where the trash can is).  I went in to get cat food to feed the cats, and I threw it in front of the side door for her to take out when she left for work.  Where did I find it this morning???  Back over the half door.  She is 21 years old turning 22 in 2 months.  Urgh.  My husband (tee hee) said to throw it in the front seat of her car.  Why, why why does she live like this?  I did not teach her to be so dang nab-it lazy.

I'm thinking that Daughter K needs a nudge, so her birthday presents (tee hee) will involve items for living on her own.

Okay, off my soapbox on housekeeping.

Today is the birthday of our grandson that passed away at the age of 4 months.  Daughter T is needing some comforting.

I'm sort of looking forward to the rain, so I'll get deep into spring cleaning. I want a very tidy house come planting season.  Even though I started my seeds in Feb (early) this year, some look a bit smallish.  I have grow lights on them too.

My habanero seeds never came up.  I have never grown habanero myself from seed.  My husband says they need more heat on them, but it's too late now.  I'll have to buy a few plants if I can find any.  Last year it was slim pickin's.

6 comments:

Faith said...

I got me a 25 year old lazy. Been like that since a child. Cleaning has never been in his wheelhouse. He is talking of moving....I just took the door off of bedroom, so I can monitor, his idea of cleaning and mine are not the same. He was not brought up this way. So I hear you.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith, it is so tiring to deal with. When she brings her friend over for the night, my living room is left with a bunch of fast food garbage. I am planning on enforcing no food in the living room next.

Wildflower Adventures said...

The sunset picture is beautiful. I got in the spring cleaning mood for a couple days then it was gone. Karen

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Wildflower, the only thing pushing me on, is that I won't have time for it over summer and fall.

JustGail said...

Looking back, moving out was probably one of the best self-help things DS did. He's grown up a lot since he did. Finding out Mom & Dad weren't just talking to hear themselves on things like finances and chores was an eye opener. It *seems* like he listens a bit closer now.

It's been a while since I attempted peppers of any type from seed, but yes more heat is good. Also start a couple of weeks earlier than tomatoes, and an overnight soak in warm water helps too. And sew more than you think you'll need. Sometimes it seems they have a low germination rate.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks JustGail, that is good to know.