Skip to main content

Chickens ~ Flower Gardens and what not.....

The ladies (chickens) are laying exhaustingly awesome right now.   I have 2 (not just 1) dozen in the fridge to boil in a week or so.  So excited to be blessed with so many eggs right now.

We are adding several perennials to the flower beds this spring.  I have had them in the garage until the snow and freeze was finished.  I know there may be a chance for frost, but with the 80°F days, and rain, I put them all outside.  




I don't have very many tulips, but they are blooming.  I'm planting more bulbs this fall. 



Look at the size of the dandelions!  I will be doing something before my husband mows again.



My husband was tickled pink to see I made strawberry crisp.  I need to rotate out some strawberries before strawberry season gets here.  The recipe is online with Belle of the Kitchen.  I use thawed frozen strawberries and adapted the recipe with organic ingredients.  I do have to bake it a bit longer using the thawed strawberries (more liquid from frozen).





Comments

I toi have lots of dandelions. Last year I made dandelions cream from a recipe online. Have a great week and say Hi to the girls.
Chasity said…
Thanks for the recipe, sounds delicious!
wyomingheart said…
Does it seem like the dandelion population is massive this year? That strawberry crisp looks awesome!... save me a bite ...lol !
Thanks Lisa, yes we have loads of dandelions this spring. I typically make a bread. I've made jelly, but prefer the taste of wild violet better. Have a great week.
wyomingheart, the crisp is very good.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart