Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

Our hired help showed up.  Car is running good, but we need to buy a new radiator hose, some anti-freeze, and put one headlight back in.  Then we pull the truck in and replace brakes on that next.

Got the house work started yesterday until the sweeper stopped working.  One daughter and I got it back to working.  I can't wait to get rid of the carpet and replace flooring in this house.  One thing at a time.

The Mexican Crockpot casserole was a hit.  It's online with Well plated by Erin.  I used home grown tomatoes (I have frozen jalapenos to make those "fired up" too) that I froze (and thawed), and made homemade enchilada sauce (no sugar like store bought has), and only added some hand shredded sharp cheddar cheese upon serving it.  So delicious and it has quinoa in it.

Breakfast was a hit too.  I've made many breakfast dishes with broccoli, but changed it up a bit by adding zucchini.  Broccoli is a power house of goodness, and a great way to start the day healthy.

I ordered an item from Annie's Crafts back in November for the girls for Christmas.  I just thought they would enjoy something fun.  Well, the items never arrived.  I sent an email.  No email back.  I'll be calling today and asking questions or getting a refund.

It's pretty cold here this week, but the wood stove was still going when I got up. So thankful for that.  Today will be a much easier day with all the housework done yesterday.  

Speaking of yesterday, I let the chickens out for a bit and moved some things to one of the barns.  Thankfully I was outside too.  I literally walked out of the barn, and saw two hawks flying directly towards the chicken coop.  I put my ladies back inside.

I will finish up my latest crochet project and get that posted tomorrow.  

Comments

mamasmercantile said…
Glad you saw the hawks in time and that your little ladies are safe. Good news on the car repairs.
Cockeyed Jo said…
Things on a whole are more upbeat than downers and it sounds Good for you. Just a teeny warning. It is to go back and forth with your emotions right now. Try and keep busy as much as you can.
Cockeyed Jo, I am trying to stay busy for sure. With the passing of Dad, those emotions are playing on me from time to time too.

Popular posts from this blog

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

New Recipe Tried and other Bits

  I tried a new granola recipe and boy it's good.  First, it's a recipe from Mennonite Girls and Cook, and called "Backpack Snacks" online.  It calls for granola, so I used my homemade granola that we love.  Picture is the dry ingredients. Second, I pressed the final mixture into a 9 x 9, parchment lined baking dish instead of rolling it into balls.  The color of these photos are all different, because of the time of day, and how dark the house was from the thick Canadian smoke that was still outside at the time. These cut very nicely, and were very good, straight from the refrigerator.  It was hard to eat just one of them.  I will be making this again, and switching out the peanuts with walnuts, and switching out the raisins with dates.  Oh my!  The binder is honey and peanut butter. These are perfect for your hiking days, camping, your grandkids, or just for snacks when you want one. The rain arrived thank goodness, and washed the smoke in...