Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

Our hired help showed up.  Car is running good, but we need to buy a new radiator hose, some anti-freeze, and put one headlight back in.  Then we pull the truck in and replace brakes on that next.

Got the house work started yesterday until the sweeper stopped working.  One daughter and I got it back to working.  I can't wait to get rid of the carpet and replace flooring in this house.  One thing at a time.

The Mexican Crockpot casserole was a hit.  It's online with Well plated by Erin.  I used home grown tomatoes (I have frozen jalapenos to make those "fired up" too) that I froze (and thawed), and made homemade enchilada sauce (no sugar like store bought has), and only added some hand shredded sharp cheddar cheese upon serving it.  So delicious and it has quinoa in it.

Breakfast was a hit too.  I've made many breakfast dishes with broccoli, but changed it up a bit by adding zucchini.  Broccoli is a power house of goodness, and a great way to start the day healthy.

I ordered an item from Annie's Crafts back in November for the girls for Christmas.  I just thought they would enjoy something fun.  Well, the items never arrived.  I sent an email.  No email back.  I'll be calling today and asking questions or getting a refund.

It's pretty cold here this week, but the wood stove was still going when I got up. So thankful for that.  Today will be a much easier day with all the housework done yesterday.  

Speaking of yesterday, I let the chickens out for a bit and moved some things to one of the barns.  Thankfully I was outside too.  I literally walked out of the barn, and saw two hawks flying directly towards the chicken coop.  I put my ladies back inside.

I will finish up my latest crochet project and get that posted tomorrow.  

Comments

mamasmercantile said…
Glad you saw the hawks in time and that your little ladies are safe. Good news on the car repairs.
Cockeyed Jo said…
Things on a whole are more upbeat than downers and it sounds Good for you. Just a teeny warning. It is to go back and forth with your emotions right now. Try and keep busy as much as you can.
Cockeyed Jo, I am trying to stay busy for sure. With the passing of Dad, those emotions are playing on me from time to time too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart