Skip to main content

Bourbon Chicken (Crockpot Recipe)

 

Bourbon Chicken (Crockpot Recipe)

Place 2lbs. of organic chicken breast in a crock pot.

In a bowl mix the sauce:

1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger

4 cloves homegrown garlic

1/2 tsp. organic crushed red pepper flakes

1/3 cup organic apple juice

1 1/2 Tbsp. organic honey

1/4 cup organic brown sugar

1/4 cup home canned (or organic) ketchup

3 Tbsp. organic apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup Bourbon

1/4 cup organic soy sauce

1/4 cup water

Mix all together and pour over chicken.  Cook on low for 7 hours or so.

Just about 15 minutes before serving, remove chicken from crock pot, shred and set aside.  

Mix 3 Tbsp. water with 3 Tbsp. organic corn starch.  Add to the crock pot mixture and stir.  

Shred chicken and add back to the crock pot. Stir.

Note:  I did not turn up the heat to speed up process, I simply let it sit on low, put the chicken back in, and gave it a stir.

Serve over organic wild rice or rice of your choice and top with chopped green onions from your herb garden.


Comments

Cindy said…
Looking forward to trying the Bourbon Chicken recipe. Just want you to know I have been following your blog for over a year now. You are such an inspiration! Really enjoy the encouragement that comes out of your blogs. I garden, can, and freeze. We buy a pig and half a beef for our freezer. My husband usually gets two deer a year during the season that goes in the freezer as well. I try to keep stocked up in my pantry, plan and utilize everything. I budget big time.
I would love to have 3-4 chickens but we live in city limits and they say we can't. We were raising a few rabbits and putting them in the freezer.
Bovey Belle said…
Oooh - this sounds delish. I've just printed off the recipe and we will try it out next week. Thank you.
Cindy, thank you so much! I am trying to get my husband on the bandwagon with rabbits. There is one city not to far that is considering allowing chickens in the city after this awful year we are having. I hope it happens elsewhere too.
You are welcome Bovey Belle.
mamasmercantile said…
Sounds delicious, I too am looking forward to giving it a try. Its nice to have a few slow cooker recipes that can just be left.
mamasmercantile, I love crockpot meal nights. It frees up my day for work or for play.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart