Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, October 9, 2020

Bourbon Chicken (Crockpot Recipe)

 

Bourbon Chicken (Crockpot Recipe)

Place 2lbs. of organic chicken breast in a crock pot.

In a bowl mix the sauce:

1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger

4 cloves homegrown garlic

1/2 tsp. organic crushed red pepper flakes

1/3 cup organic apple juice

1 1/2 Tbsp. organic honey

1/4 cup organic brown sugar

1/4 cup home canned (or organic) ketchup

3 Tbsp. organic apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup Bourbon

1/4 cup organic soy sauce

1/4 cup water

Mix all together and pour over chicken.  Cook on low for 7 hours or so.

Just about 15 minutes before serving, remove chicken from crock pot, shred and set aside.  

Mix 3 Tbsp. water with 3 Tbsp. organic corn starch.  Add to the crock pot mixture and stir.  

Shred chicken and add back to the crock pot. Stir.

Note:  I did not turn up the heat to speed up process, I simply let it sit on low, put the chicken back in, and gave it a stir.

Serve over organic wild rice or rice of your choice and top with chopped green onions from your herb garden.


6 comments:

Cindy said...

Looking forward to trying the Bourbon Chicken recipe. Just want you to know I have been following your blog for over a year now. You are such an inspiration! Really enjoy the encouragement that comes out of your blogs. I garden, can, and freeze. We buy a pig and half a beef for our freezer. My husband usually gets two deer a year during the season that goes in the freezer as well. I try to keep stocked up in my pantry, plan and utilize everything. I budget big time.
I would love to have 3-4 chickens but we live in city limits and they say we can't. We were raising a few rabbits and putting them in the freezer.

Bovey Belle said...

Oooh - this sounds delish. I've just printed off the recipe and we will try it out next week. Thank you.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Cindy, thank you so much! I am trying to get my husband on the bandwagon with rabbits. There is one city not to far that is considering allowing chickens in the city after this awful year we are having. I hope it happens elsewhere too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

You are welcome Bovey Belle.

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds delicious, I too am looking forward to giving it a try. Its nice to have a few slow cooker recipes that can just be left.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, I love crockpot meal nights. It frees up my day for work or for play.