Skip to main content

Random Tidbits

Although, it's super convenient to use potatoes of some sort in a breakfast casserole, this one was delicious.  I have been trying to limit the carbs, sugar/starch etc. lately.  It makes a 9 x 13, but you can cut the recipe in half for a smaller family.  I cooked sausage vs. buying pre-cooked, and of course organic. 

The recipe is online at Pretty Providence, and the recipe is called "Best Breakfast Casserole."  Although I can't say it's the best of any casserole I've made, it is very good.


To relax yesterday, I made more of the jar openers.  They are becoming popular.  I have two more pending orders.  One wants 4 of them and another wants at least 2.  I think I will make one for the camper for us too.


I am waiting to see if I can get 16-20 bell peppers ripe all at the same time to stuff.  I may have to do it in half batches this year.  I had to dig and dig for Mama Pea's recipe for stuffed peppers.  We haven't had them in the freezer for the last 2 gardening seasons.

Only one zucchini and some cucumbers (planted 3 varieties of cucumbers this year).  The rain helped start a few more on the plants, so here's crossing my fingers we get more squash.  The yellow is on, but the plants are smaller than zucchini this year. 

I figured my green beans would be done, but the rain brought on a ton of blossoms. If they don't amount to anything, I'll be yanking the plants for the season.

As for the chickens and the chaos, we are going to clip their wings vs. spend a load of cash to re-do the coop.  Much easier and I surely hope they can't fly higher than the fence.  They are really giving me a run for my money.

I was given a pass on having to make dinner last night.  My husband took me on a motorcycle ride and dinner out.  A much needed ride after all the stuff going on here lately.



Comments

Cockeyed Jo said…
I had more of an issue with carbs when I was a diabetic. Most folks eliminate potatoes from their diets first. Potatoes are a carb, but they are also a power house of essential vitamins and minerals the body needs. They key, as to anything in life, is moderation.
Cockeyed Jo, my husband is diabetic, but his last testing was lower and much better,so I'm trying to be careful with the potatoes.
Goatldi said…
I will give that casserole a go round. The smaller version and then eat fresh once freeze in small portions the rest.

Sounds as you are making both garden and chicken progress. Wing clipping is SOP here. If ones chickens are safe in theory sometimes giving them wing lift to fly just creates problems.

Glad you got a ride and a dinner you didn’t have to cook. Often when we go out for a change of scenery it puts our lives back in perspective and we feel not so grim about it.

Press on!
Goatldi, the casserole is good, but I may tweek it a bit. The hens are all doing good now that we clipped their wings. Whew! Yes, love a ride to clear my head.
Wow looks delicious.
I have a cooking blog in Spanish with Google translate in many languages.
Hope you liked.

Olga.
Thanks Recetas, I will take a look at your blog. Thanks for visiting mine.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart