Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, December 4, 2019

This and That

Sam I Am (at farmgirlSam blogspot) shared an ornament that reminded me of one I made for gift giving years ago.  The crocheted edging is different, but wanted to share.



I found wooden rings at the thrift store and used canning lids (old ones) for the backs.  The directions can be found on my S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot if you are interested.

I will be digging through my crafting supplies to see if I have more rings to make the ones she posted.  They are beautiful!

Not much going on at our homestead right now.  


I got a few organic celery cubes frozen for winter soups.  Speaking of soups, I will be bagging my corn off the cob into smaller bags more so than the 3 cup bags, so I can use it for soups (but in smaller amounts).


I made crock pot leftover ham/veggie soup yesterday.  I left out the corn and added white beans and a small amount of lentils (shockingly high in carbs), leftover green beans etc.  I did some reading, and couldn't believe corn has more carbs (starch) than white potatoes.  Yikes.


I got my brown paper bags stamped for "shopping" bags for my customers at the craft show.


I baked my first loaf of wheat bread using whole grain Einkorn flour - no eggs, no butter or other fats.  I was a bit iffy on this recipe.  I had to wait 2 hours to slice a piece to try (what the recipe said to do).

Results?  


Surprisingly good!  According to what I am reading on the package of the flour, it is about half the carbs you would get in other (white flour) breads, and just a hair more than coconut flour (which is a low carb flour).

I'm crocheting and knitting like a mad woman.  The upcoming craft show will be the only one I'll do this year, but will work quickly to prep for next year, so I can spend my time in the garden next summer.

12 comments:

Carol said...

That bread looks delicious! I have a craft show that I am taking part in on Friday with my Pink Zebra home fragrance items that I am looking forward too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, the bread is very good. Our daughter packed slices to make a peanut butter/banana sandwich for her school lunch today. Here's hoping we both have a great turn out this weekend for our shows.

Mama Pea said...

Doesn't bread made with einkorn flour have a wonderfully rich flavor? Same for when we use it in pancakes or biscuits. My bread never rises as well as with other flours, but we both love the flavor we do get.

Sending best wishes for a VERY successful craft show this weekend. People should be looking for gifts for Christmas so here's hoping you sell out!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, we love the flavor of it for sure. Thank you, I hope to sell a lot this year, as it's the only show for the holidays.

knittingaddict said...

I made the same ornaments when we were newly married. I have also seen where people are crocheting around pony tail holders for hair scrunchies. Might crochet the scrunchies for great granddaughter for the holidays.
Love the bread, I wonder how it would do in a bread machine.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Kristina gee your bread looks so yummy and love the Xmas decoration that you made you are very clever and I love how you have stamped the brown bags for the craft show xx

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks knittingaddict, I don't have a bread machine, so I'm not sure.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sheryl

Cockeyed Jo said...

Congrats on your first loaf! It looks perfect, but it was yummy.I've never done the crafting circuit to sell my goodies. Is it difficult?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Cockeyed Jo, it's taken me a few years to find out what sells the best, but it's not too difficult.

Sam I Am...... said...

Lovely ornament! So cute! I wish you luck on your craft show. I really like your stamp of the rooster on your bags...great idea! I need to try Einkorn flour and I had no idea corn had more carbs than potatoes! That's a shocker! When you freeze your celery do you add water to those ice cube trays with the celery?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, yes I do add water and freeze them.