Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, December 16, 2019

Happy Homemaker Monday ~ Power Outage Prep

It rained the entire day Saturday, but we went to town and bought some chicken wire, and took advantage of some sales.  We earned 50% off all general merchandise at the grocery store in the "Big City" and earned some rewards at another store.  We basically shopped for our youngest daughter's birthday and Christmas presents.  


Thanks to our one time 50% off reward, I finally own a coffee press in case we lose power for any reason.  I only paid $4.99 for it too. 

We were exhausted upon arriving home.  Nothing got done after that.

Sunday I was woken up at 5am by the dog, and then I remembered I promised Hubby and our youngest daughter a big breakfast.  Slowly, I sipped coffee and woke up with a power shower.  We ran more errands, but with a $20 roll of chicken wire, old barn wood and a ton of staples, we fixed the coop.  We definitely need to build a new coop.  There better be eggs out there today too.  Our mistake as a new homesteader was building one with chicken wire.  It lasted almost 11 years though.  Lesson learned.

The new coop will be like a shed with windows and doors, very secure, with a run.  We were discussing the location, and we actually have a cement slab where an old chicken coop was years and years ago.  We just have to clean the giant rocks off of it (left there from past owners), and cut down trees that grew around it. It'll be closer to the house too.  At least it's on our agenda now. 

We are talking about using the old goat fence for the dog and future dog, until we can put up a fence closer to the house.  I'll need a push lawn mower to keep it mowed down though.  or a larger gate, but that would be tearing apart the fencing.  It has to stay mowed down due to foxtail in it (very dangerous to a dog).






Homemade biscuits and sausage gravy, eggs, and potatoes (we indulged since we don't eat potatoes that often now).  Oh, and crock pot "fried" apples.


I sold this set!  Woohoo to that.  Adding that cash to the new coop fund.


We named them.  The calico is "Dolly" the coat of many colors, and the black and white one "Waylan" land bedside the road.  They definitely were dumped here.  They respond very well to "here kitty kitty" and they come running when I call them.  They are still too shy to come all the way to me though.




Today I'm joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.


The weather outside is . . .
28°F and snowing.  More snow to fall today as well.



On the breakfast plate  . . .
Leftover biscuits and gravy, eggs, potatoes and "fried" apples.


As well as homemade mochas, using organic coffee, homemade hot cocoa and organic mint syrup.


As I look out my window . . .
We have snow!


Right now I am . . .
Getting ready to post this, stoke the fire and get this day started, and starting breakfast egg muffins.  Oh, and laundry started too.


As I look around the house . . .
It's a mess.  Ugh.  Too much running around this past weekend and daughter had tons of homework.


On today's to-do list . . .
A ton of dishes (a friend is giving us their dishwasher next month so we won't have to look for parts for our current one)
Get dinner in the crocky - Chili
Load money to daughter's school lunch acct
Laundry
Change bedding
Put wire cutters, staples and staple gun away
Clean entire master bath
Vacuum
Sweep kitchen
Breakfast for the next few days
Renew library books
Bake a pie


On this week's to-do list . . .
Finish Christmas decorating
Put totes away
Wrap birthday and Christmas gifts
Finish a set of hot pads (an order)
Work on scarf (another order)
Start another set of hot pads (another order)
Finish nail polish bottle ornaments
Confirm dates to visit the island next year (emails sent)
Confirm a date for the cabin for our anniversary



On the menu this week . . .
Chili, cornbread
Ham beans and leftover cornbread
Chicken noodle soup
Salmon patties, roasted veggies
Leftovers


Currently reading . . .
Nothing


On the TV this week . . .
Netlfix and library movies


What I am creating . . . 

A double wrap infinity scarf that was ordered, and two more nail polish tree ornaments.  On a side note, I made her a headband and she wants a matching scarf.  I went all over looking for the same yarn (not knowing the brand nor color because I forgot to clip the wrapper to it ugh).  I ended up finding the exact color yesterday.



Prayers. . .
My Mom.  She's setting up her tests at Cleveland Clinic.  Not sure yet if they will set a surgery date.  Just so you know, Mom has had two heart surgeries already.  For our 20 year-old and her finances (just got bombed with a $1,000 bill {after insurance} from her car accident last fall).  A family friend.  She borrowed $100 from us months ago, and has not paid us back.  I'm praying she does the right thing.

16 comments:

Sherry said...

Oh my you are one busy lady. Love all your handy work. Have a very good day. God Bless.

Jean said...

Wow, your biscuits look wonderful! Must be a mocha kind of Monday. That's what I'm having as well except the lazy gal "from a bag" kind ;) This is always that tons to do week before Christmas isn't it? And why do dishwashers always seem to go rogue at this time of year? UGH. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sherry

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Jean, yes there is so much to do that isn't even Christmas related, lol!

Cockeyed Jo said...

Kristina,
I've loaned thousands of bucks to my children. If they pay me back that's good, but if they can't (I mean that they really can't), each Christmas I'll write a Christmas card with a tally of money borrowed "Paid in full." I believe in holding adult children responsible for their debts but if they debt was incurred by not being irresponsible and running short of funds, it's not worth hardening my heart towards them.
An example-
One son in law fell from a 40 ft ladder and was out of work for 4 months. He had broken both his ankles. He was an independent contractor on this job with no insurance. I couldn't stand by while my grandchildren starved, did without electricity, or a roof over their heads while he was recovering from the surgeries. He promised to pay me back. They struggled to pay me back,and I gave them the Christmas card. I just thank God I was able to help them.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Cockeyed Jo, that's a great idea. I wish we could help our daughter right now, but both our medical bills are rolling in right now.

Schotzy said...

I am salivating over your biscuits yum!
I get the gist that the power could be an issue. Hope it will be very minimal. Prayers for your mother. Merry Christmas!

Leigh said...

Must have coffee! LOL And look at those biscuits! Wow!

It's interesting, the things we change from the things we learn. Like your chicken coop. Even when a big project is finally finished, it seems like there is endless tweaking.

Luludou said...

Love the crochet pattern for the scarf. Seems like you have a busy week ahead. Enjoy!

Carol said...

You are busy, but that breakfast looks delicious! I love biscuits and gravy!!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Schotzy

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

You are right Leigh

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Luludou

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Carol

Jenny said...

Beautiful biscuits! I've never been good at making them. Good luck with finishing the Christmas decor this week. I gave up and put the rest of our totes away after only decorating the tree, fireplace mantle, and outdoor garland and lights.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Jenny, I hope to finish my decorating too.