Skip to main content

Freezer Meat Sauce ~ Lasagna ~ Utilizing Fresh Grown Tomatoes, Fresh Basil, Garden Garlic and More

I'm always looking for good, healthy freezer friendly recipe.  It saves time and money in the long run, especially if the organic meat is purchased on sale, and I take advantage of vegetables from the garden and fresh herbs from the herb garden.

I made a trial run, using the alternative canned organic tomatoes to see if we'd like to make a few batches this summer when the tomatoes are ripe.  We found the sauce and lasagna to be very good.  I twist on the dish, but a healthier version.  Here is the how-to, on the meat sauce first.  Make a double batch, and freeze one for a later meal.  The recipe makes a 4 layer, 13 x 9 inch baking dish meal.  You could cut cut the size down to a 9 x 9 or 8 x 8 in, and freeze even more of the sauce.  I just have to figure out how many noodles I need for the smaller pan (for 4 layers).

The meat sauce could be used for other recipes such as stuffed spaghetti squash, spaghetti, stuffed shells, and many other recipes.




Meat Sauce:

1 lb. organic ground beef, browned in organic olive oil and drained

While you are browning beef, quarter 2 onions, place in a food processor, add 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (or 1 Tbsp prepared organic pesto and 1 Tbsp. homemade organic Italian Seasoning).

Add this mixture to the beef, along with:
2 cloves of garlic, minced.  Cook about 3 minutes.

Add:
6 fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped (or 4 cups organic canned diced tomatoes)

2 cups home canned crushed tomatoes (or purchase organic canned crushed tomatoes).

1 cup organic dry red wine (pick one you like to drink and enjoy the rest of the bottle at dinner)

1 cup organic chicken stock, or homemade chicken stock

1/4 cup home canned tomato paste (or organic canned tomato paste)

1/2 tsp. organic ground black pepper

salt

pinch of organic nutmeg

5 organic bay leaves

Stir in remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring of and on until thickened.


The "white sauce" for the Lasagna recipe:

4 Tbsp. organic butter
1/3 cup organic potato starch, 
1 1/2 c. organic milk
2 egg yolks, fresh out of the coop
1 1/2 cups organic shredded Parmesan and/or Asiago cheese
organic ground black pepper

In a saucepan, melt butter, add potato starch and let cook a minute or so, and drizzle in the milk by stirring with a whisk.  Remove from heat,  add a small amount of milk mixture to a bowl of whisked egg yolks, then add the egg mixture back to the milk mixture and return to the burner.

Just heat until a bit thickened, remove from heat, add cheeses and cover to keep warm.


To Make the Lasagna:






Butter a 13 x 9 inch pan.

Layer meat sauce, then white sauce, then cooked organic or non-gmo lasagna noodles, repeat up to 4 times with cheese on top.  

Bake at 400° for 30 minutes covered.  Remove foil, bake 30 more minutes (I added some organic mozzerella 15 minutes of last 30 minute cook time).  Remove from oven and allow to cool 30 minutes before serving.

I used a mix of the two cheeses and it was very good.  I also found a non-gmo potato starch from a health store.



Comments

mamasmercantile said…
Looks delicious. Such a shame you are so far away I would be around for dinner...
mamasmercantile, thanks! I drove some up to one of my daughter's too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart