Skip to main content

Hot Sauce ~ Home Canned

Hubby loves hot sauce and I use it in several recipes (and our steak marinade).  I decided it was time to try canning it.  I planted serrano hot peppers this year by accident, when I purchased my jalapeno plants.   They were mixed in and I didn't see the labels.

I drove down the road and bought some cherry bomb peppers from our roadside stand guy we rely on some days.  He was out of habanero, so I decided to try cherry bomb for the first batch.


Recipe states to use 4-6 habanero, I used 6 cherry bomb peppers.  I didn't have thai peppers, so I used what I had in the garden (jalapeno, hot banana).  With the extra peppers in it, I got more than 4 - 4 oz. jars as it stated I would.  We put the extra bit in the fridge and the others in the pantry.  They recipe states it's flavor is best if you let it set sealed for 2 weeks.

It was pretty easy to make and only a 5 minute boil time.  I read the label on the "organic" hot sauce we buy, and it has soybean oil in it.  It says it's organic, but my home canned hot sauce has nothing but peppers, organic vinegar, organic lime juice etc.  Just goodness.

The recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens Canning booklet.  They also have it online - Triple Pepper Hot Sauce.

We tasted it last night, and the heat tastes so much similar to the organic hot sauce we buy.  Hubby doesn't like stuff real hot either.  It's just right.  I'll be searching for some habanero at the Farmer's Market next, and making it again with my own hot peppers. 

Today?  It's back to tomatoes.  I'm not complaining.  I am down to making my decision on what I can, by what size jars I have available.  I am almost out of pints, so today, it's a second double batch of tomato paste. 

Oh, and my daughter tricked me.  She told me an earlier time, just to make sure I was out of bed.  Darn kids of mine.  I needed up to start tomatoes earlier anyway.  I think rain is on the way, and am in need of a motorcycle ride.  Go figure. 

Comments

RB said…
Funny you talk about Habaneros and hubby not liking things real hot in the same blog, cause Habaneros are scorching hot. LOL
A long time ago, we planted some Cayenne peppers and Habanero Peppers. We dried them on strings, and after they dried, we cleaned them and pulverized them into powder in the food processor. We put it into spice jars and Bro Tom called it Devil Dust, and it pretty much was, but a pinch of it in pinto beans or chili made it real tasty. Yum!!!
Prayers everyone has a great weekend, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, the recipe also uses 1 1/2 cups of diced carrots, so it does add a bit of sweetness to cut the heat just a bit. I'll have to make it again with those peppers.
Sam I Am...... said…
The last (and I mean last) time I used jalapeno's in a recipe...my hands burned for 3 hours....I had no idea you were supposed to wear gloves so I just use green chilies from the store when a recipe calls for jalapenos....I am not a lover of heat! LOL!
Sam I Am, I have to use gloves to slice garlic too. Burns!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart