Skip to main content

Wacky Winter ~ Indoor seed planting has started

I think anyone living in our neck of the woods, has lost their marbles by this point in the season.  I think most of us, look out the window and just start laughing hysterically.  This tells it exactly as it is....
Image may contain: text
Hubby got a laugh out of this too.  What a "wacky" winter we are having.


So what's going on here lately?





We had a nice windy, somewhat sunny day, so laundry made it to the clothesline.  Not too chilly on Thursday either, as long as the sun was shining.



It was a two crock-pot day too.  One crock pot had a double batch of sweet potato chili, and the other pumpkin steel cut oats for breakfast(s).





Granola was made two days ago.  I was totally out, and what a better day to bake, to warm up the kitchen. Besides, the empty jars are piling up (like in a huge way) and I could stand to fill a few up.  I'm running out places to store them.





Sauerkraut was started.  Fermented food are so good for a healthy diet, so I try to have something fermenting.

Speaking of which....guess what I did for the first time?

I pickled turnips.  I did!  I had to buy them this time of year, but I needed fresh beets for our salad I wanted to try too.  We will get to taste them after they sit a while.  I'll be back with photos and an update on this soon.



I roasted raw cashews with dark brown sugar, salt, rosemary, cayenne, and a bit of butter (Ina Garten recipe online).  You can see the dark brown sugar was still thick, so next time I may try brown sugar and add a bit of blackstrap molasses.  Have you ever tasted an untainted, unsalted, raw organic non-gmo cashew?  Blech.  I had to jazz them up somehow to get my nuts this week.  Almonds are all gone.  However, these are delicious.  Spicy/sweet with rosemary.  An odd combination, but it works for me.

Aside from the kidney and black beans in the chili.  Legume of the week:  A pound of dry chickpeas were cooked up in preparation for the new recipe (I'll be back to share recipes).

I'm on a mission for another recipe to try - spinach/artichoke dip.  However, my mission is to find one that is less chessy, and still delicious. 


I have found a new pie recipe, that I want to try this year.  Last year we did great with the chocolate mouse pie, the blueberry pie with a twist, and the sweet potato pie.  

Gardening has begun this season.  I have planted 64 jalapeno seeds and 34 bell pepper.  Organic/heirloom varieties of course.  Not sure what I'll start next.  

Oh, and I made a trip to the library. Woot woot!  Here is my library loot:


The one on top is not as thrilling as I wished.  The herbs are per page, small descriptions, and no recipes.  Book is small too.  I have yet to read through the others.

Comments

Susan said…
I bet your house is smelling delicious! I had to laugh at that winter saying - it is so true. However, our winter never seems to leave the room.
Susan, it has been one long winter for sure.
I just wondered if you had fermented kefir. Love that winter quote! I'm in Houston, but even we have had a colder than normal winter.
Kristen, I have not made my own kefir yet, but I am just now doing more reading up on it. Unfortunately, I do not have any local friends or family who make kefir, to share their recipes or experiences. I am relying on books. I am fermenting more vegetables though, and I do buy organic kombucha as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart