Skip to main content

Roasting Nuts

I decided to mix up my nuts this week.  I used about a cup of each - almonds, cashews and walnuts.  All of course are organic, non-gmo, and chemical free.  Like I said before, if you've ever tasted a raw, unsalted, truly organic cashew, it's not tasty at all.  I read my labels before buying any.  There are so many bad oils added to nuts, even just a single one.  



I decided to use my spiced nut recipe for this mix.  Although we love the rosemary roasted recipe for cashews too.  

Hubby and I love to snack on these.  Yum.  

Walnuts are packed with omega-3 fats, and good for the heart.  Almonds are high in vitamin E, contain fiber, good fats, riboflavin, iron and more.


Although cashews are low in fiber, they are high in copper, phosphorus, and manganese and magnesium.  All relating to good blood vessel health, bone health, muscle health, iron utilization, regulating blood pressure, and more.

All seeds (my favorite are sesame, sunflower, flax and pumpkin) can be rotated for a healthier intake of good fats, vitamins, minerals and hormone balance/support.



Spiced Nuts
1 egg white and 1 tsp water beat until frothy, then add:
1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1 tsp. organic cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. organic cayenne pepper, ground
1/4 tsp. organic cumin, ground
1/4 tsp. organic coriander, ground

Nuts and seeds I used this time around:

1 cup raw, unsalted almonds, organic
1 cup raw, unsalted cashews, organic
1 cup raw, unsalted (freshly cracked) walnuts, locally grown
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds, organic

While the oven heated, I roasted the nuts and seeds.

While they roasted, I mixed the ingredients.  Removed the nuts/seeds from the oven and tossed them in a bowl with mixed ingredients.  I used a pampered chef stoneware pan, but you could use any rimmed pan I believe.  I spread it out flat and baked it for 20 to 25 minutes until they appeared "dry."  I also stirred once during the bake time.  

Cool.  Store in an airtight container.



Roasting Nuts © March 2018 by Kristina at https://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/


Comments

Susan said…
I use raw cashews in lots of recipes and you're right - plain, they are blah. It's hair-raising to read the list of ingredients in conventionally roasted nuts.
Susan, I tried to explain to a few family members. When you buy a single nut, you'd think it was just a nut. Or mixed nuts too. They put pretty bad oils in them, or even soy.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart