Skip to main content

Nettle ~ Black Eyed Pea Spread ~ Gratitude

I harvested another huge pot of stinging nettle yesterday.  Before the rain arrived.  It's been a very good year for me to actually get things done in a more timely fashion.  I hope to harvest more.


I got out there early, before the bees woke up.  We have bees everywhere right now.  



I picked more than would fit in the dehydrator, so I blanched the rest for the next breakfast or pasta dish.  Nettle can be used in any dish you would use spinach or other greens.  Did you know 1 cup of cooked nettle contains 428mg of calcium?  Dandelion, 1 cup boiled contains 147mg of calcium.  According to the internet, those are the figures I found.  Hm.  A huge difference. No wonder my teas helped my hair and nails. 


What's on the breakfast plate?
  


Butternut Squash/Dandelion Egg Scramble.  I made it up as I cooked it.  While cooking, I noticed a stone truck enter the driveway.  Oh happy day!


New recipe ~ Black Eyed Pea Spread.  It's online at Eating Well.  It is a nice substitute for hummus, as you can control the amount of garlic.  It tastes just like hummus, it's just green vs. white, due to the parsley in it.

Speaking of parsley, it is high in vitamin K, which is needed for bone, brain and eye health.  And it contains other good vitamins and minerals. 


Black eyed peas have a good amount of calcium.  I wouldn't hurt for me to eat more of them, so I tried the recipe.

You can use it place of mayo on a sandwich, or eat it like you would hummus, or even top an appetizer with it.  

I used organic canned, because it was what I had in my pantry.  I have a running list to order some dry.  Our grocers do not sell them dry. 


I am so very thankful for:

-the school for arranging us stone, and for filling in the pot holes and shoveling the stone for us.

-for finding my lost earring, found it in the barn the other day, and was tickled pink.  Had to sanitize it, but I thought it was a "goner."

-the rain we are getting. Our asparagus is still providing. So thankful for that too.

I am now a firm believer that when you remove negative energy from your life and home, life is grand, things run smoother, things get done, and there is a heightened sense of motivation.  Even the plants seem happier. 

Comments

Susan said…
Thank you for the reminder about nettles! Last year, I missed them completely. Also - thank you SO much for this recipe! I have six jars of black-eyed peas that I canned two years ago that need using!
Rain said…
Your breakfast looks yummy! I'm with you, all negativity must go! I mean, we all have some days when it plagues us, but most days I try my best not to allow it. When I have a bad moment, I have a little mantra that I say to myself while I breathe deeply "my mind, my spirit, my heart are free, no negativity will enter me"...I say it about 5 times and then think of something positive and it usually works :)
Susan, I missed nettles last year too. You are welcome. We love the taste of the new recipe. Yum.
Rain,thank you. I love it when I have time to be creative at breakfast.
Sam I Am...... said…
I love your breakfast...yum!!! I too will not allow negativity in any form if I can help it. I have a sign on my door that says 'Nobody gets in to see the wizard....not nobody, not no how! "...from the Wizard of Oz. I like to keep the "riff-raff" away! LOL!
RB said…
I too am a firm believer in removing negativity from one's life and home. I believe negativity is as powerful a source of believing as positivity is, but unlike positivity, its results are negative, and no one needs that.
Prayers everyone's having a wonderful weekend, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
Sam I Am, I love your sign, ha ha!
Sandra said…
I still have yet to make nettle tea.
Looks like you are keeping busy!
Sandra, I feel like the to-do list is never-ending, ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart