Skip to main content

Simple Living

When we moved to this homestead, I had no idea that I would be changing in many ways.  I went from city girl, to farmstead girl.  

I've come to find new ways to simplify our lives, live healthier, and in a much more self-sufficient manner.




The other day it felt great to pull out a homemade tortilla and top it with dry cooked pinto beans (simply with onion and garlic, precooked in crock pot), and top the tortilla.  We top it with farm fresh eggs, scrambled, and top that with anything else we like - salsa, cheese, or vegetables.  What ever we like and what I have on hand.


My goal was, and is, to continue to find more ways to simplify our life, and keep it wholesome and real.  Heating with wood may be a lot of work, but it does keep us in healthy form, which keeps us out of the doctor's office (or so I thought).

Simple may not mean simple work, but it does make me feel a whole lot better at the end of the day.  For us, it works.

I'll admit, there are days I dread getting up for a large amount of hard work, but that's part of life - learning to be patient, motivated to work, and so forth.  My kids are not always willing to help, but they do tell me often, that the food I prepare, is worth it.   I'm not so sure they enjoy heating with wood though. 

...and speaking of tortillas, I made some with einkorn wheat  flour.

Stay tuned.  I'll be posting about it tomorrow.

Comments

Rain said…
Yum! That looks good. I'm so into breakfast these days, I can't wait to have my own laying hens so that I can stop buying grocery store "eggs". I make my refried beans by cooking the onion (I'll have to try garlic next time), adding the mashed beans, some salt and a sprinkling of shredded Cheddar. We use those for Huevos Rancheros, which I want to make again soon.

I'm like you Kristina, I went from city career gal to homemaking simple living queen lol...not yet farm/homesteading queen though but that is in my future :) I look forward to the chores, but I know how you feel about that dreaded feeling some days. Today it's ruddy cold out and the thought of leaving my cozy warm home was challenging me!
Rain, today is an all-out work day for me. Mostly indoors, but we have to pick up hay, and chicken feed too. Just not enough time in my day to back the truck out the "back 40" and cut up downed trees today.
Rain said…
I'd love to read about how you harvest/manage your firewood!
Mama Pea said…
Lovely post that kind of sums it up as to how most of us homesteaders, natural livers (!) feel. Yep, some mornings I feel the same way you do with the tasks I know need to be done . . . but I will readily admit I'd feel A LOT worse if I knew I had to "earn my keep" by going to work outside the home sitting in a cubicle in front of a computer all day!!!
Mama Pea, I don't know how I worked all those years sitting behind a computer, but my kids were always on my mind too.
Rain, we have to keep our chainsaw blades sharp. I don't have a fancy location to store our wood, but I'll write up a post for you.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart