Skip to main content

Dallas ~ The Cantankerous Jumping Goat

Way back in the summer, we ran out of hay.  Dallas got mad.  He soon learned to jump out of his stall and eat up the tidbits where we store the hay.  

I could write a book about this goat.  He became more of the goat from h-e-double hockey sticks.  He jumped out so many times, I got tired of putting him back in.

We built up the sides of the stall, north and south (the west wall is the barn wall where we have slide gate for them to exit and go into the fenced area).


Low and behold, he still got out.  Daughter added a few more rows of barn wood, but not the gate.  

Low and behold, again.  He jumped out.

And he taught Jackson how to jump the stall, so I was chasing two goats most days.  Other days I'd find him at the side door, screaming to get in.

He became so annoying.  He would chase after my chickens, making it so difficult to get them in and out of the coop to free range.

Anyway, I figured out how he was getting out.  I told Daughter the castle wasn't high enough.  That little stinker was jumping off the barn wall, bouncing right over the stall into the second stall we used for birthing, and he'd walk right out (gate was left open on second stall).  

Daughter was laughing as she pulled in from work, and saw Dallas following me and my hens.  I wasn't laughing.  I was getting way too much exercise chasing him.  He thought I was playing, so I just ignored him, until he followed me into the barn.

Daughter went out again, and added another board to the north side of the stall.  

He jumped right over this gate, which already had another board added.  Right in front of me. Daughter said she'd add a second board above the gate, which is about as tall as me already.  I told her his "castle" wasn't tall enough.

Guess where I found Dallas yesterday?  Oye.  I'm afraid we'll have to wrap the top of the stall with chicken wire or something.  He has separation anxiety.  Once he sees me, he has to be near my side.  So, so, annoying.  

Comments

Kim said…
But Kristina, it is nice to know you are loved!
RB said…
Awww, the the he goat loves his mommy. LOL
But yeah, goats are little Houdinis. Never met one that couldn't figure out how to get wherever they wanted to be regardless the boundaries put in front of them. LOL
Prayers everyone's having a great week, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
Kim, he jumped the stall and followed daughter inside the house,and came inside the house with the dogs once, ha ha!
RB, there are days I just shake my head and let him roam for a while. While I'm out there anyway, ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart