Skip to main content

Tomatoes, Oh Joy Tomatoes! ~ Tidbits

Tomato-Herb Jam.  I just couldn't help myself.  I had just enough ripe tomatoes to make this, so I did.  It's a first time recipe.  Another BHG recipe.

Unlike tomato-basil jam, it uses zero pectin, and simply sugar.  It's more of a sauce than a jam.  They call it "adult ketchup" because you use a bit of pinot grigio to make it.  Now I have this opened bottle of pinot that is chilling for dinner.


I picked tomatoes yesterday, and some are starting to fall off the plants on their own.  The plants are dying off, but the tomatoes are holding out.  I brought in a few green ones and baked one more green tomato cake.  In fact, it was cooling when Hubby stole me away on a motorcycle ride.  When we arrived home, half the cake was gone, ha ha!  It truly is one that the family absolutely loves.  I use Paula Dean's recipe, but use organic raisins vs. golden raisins, and I do not use butter in the frosting.  I also use locally grown walnuts, which I am just about out of.  This is the only time of year they get this cake.  My family is so spoiled.

As for the motorcycle ride, we located an old diner that we did not even know existed.  Hubby was in heaven - best ribs ever, and 5 time winner at the state fair.  I'm not sure where they get their meat, but he was so happy, he took me on a long, out in the country ride after that.  I just love that guy!

Tomato tally as of yesterday's picking, was a whopping 340#.

Sigh.

I wanted it.  I got it.  And then some.  

Today it's a half batch of tomato sauce, which I really need.  Then anything else will start going in the freezer for winter.  And of course we can always use more ketchup.  I can always make fresh salsa too, which actually sounds very good right now.  Or I could let the hens out and pretend they got out on their own (he he he!).

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
Wow! Tomato cake? I have never heard of it but people back in the day were so ingenious about creating recipes so as not to waste anything. I remember a delicious zucchini chocolate cake I used to make and soup and bread because we always had so many zucchini. The jams sound delicious too.
Your motorcycle ride sounded wonderful especially the food! LOL! Grilling season is coming here as it will be cooling off. There's no way I would stand over a hot grill out in the heat here! LOL! I am in the mood for some good ribs!
Sam I Am, it is very hot here too. Humid, dry and hot.
Susan said…
Fall has arrived here - almost. They are predicting mid-30s for overnight Saturday and Sunday! I may have to drag in the outdoor plants!
Susan, that is cold. We are lucky to dip into the 60's at night lately. Days are still upper 80's, and today maybe 90.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart