Skip to main content

Meal Delivery ~ Creamy Sweet Potato Salad (using two fresh herbs)

I spent yesterday afternoon driving the 30 mile round trip to the "big city."  I delivered meals, to not only Dad, but Mom too.  I had spent a few days in the kitchen with all four burners going and one crock pot.  I always deliver a "breakfast" meal to Dad too. 

Meals included a new recipe ~ Creamy Sweet Potato Salad.  Have you ever made a potato salad with sweet potatoes?  This was a first for me.  Easy and delicious.  It went very fast too. I know everyone but the one "vegetarian" daughter (who won't eat sweet potatoes) loved it.  I'm still pushing her to atleast taste it.  If there is any leftover today.


I can't say I followed it exactly, but pretty close. You bake the diced sweet potatoes first.



I did not dig up my entire green onion.  I used the tops and cut about a dozen of them.  They are very strong tasting compared to green onions in the store.  Also I used a single serve container of non-gmo greek (plain) yogurt vs. measuring 1/3 cup, and matched the amount with non-gmo safflower mayo.  I also used less fresh dill (which I had to buy fresh/organic from the grocer).  I am not a huge fan of a blown out taste of dill, but I like a hint in it. I could not find picante peppers either.  I did some research online and jarred pimento is a nice substitute, so I bought sliced (not diced) pimentos, drained and rinsed them before adding to the salad. Over all it tasted fantastic.

The recipe was from a booklet I had from Better Homes and Garden.  The recipe is also online here.  

Hubby absolutely went bonkers over this salad.  He insisted it be the "salad" we make from now on.  I had to remind him sweet potatoes need a root cellar to store them in.  If I keep cooking up winner recipes like this, he'll have a backhoe in the yard before I know it. 

Comments

Susan said…
At this rate, I don't think your husband can hold out much longer. I would be digging your root cellar with a spade! I love how your 'vegetarian' daughter doesn't eat many vegetables. What does she live on? :)
Susan, ha ha! As for my one daughter (16), she thinks she can live on potatoes, carrots and anything topped with cheese. I've been after her day after day to try new things, and explained she's not getting proper nutrition. She'll fry a potato, sliced, or make a cheese quesadilla. She's against animal cruelty, but won't eat real vegetables. She'll eat chicken teriyaki minus the chicken, and steamed broccoli. Hopefully she'll taste the salad today after school.
Mama Pea said…
I got a big chuckle out of your not-so-subtle hint to your hubby regarding the root cellar. We wouldn't want him to forget building one is high on your priority list! ;o}

We were vegetarian for a period of about 15 years, and it was not easy for me to cook the right foods to ensure we had a balanced diet which gave us enough protein and other essential nutrients. This was during the time our daughter was about 2 through 17 and she needed the proper nutrition to enable her body to develop strong and healthy. It's fine to chose to eat a vegetarian diet because you don't agree with the raising and killing of animals, but taking good care of your own body is very important also. I know it's difficult to educate young people as to the very real dangers of an unbalanced diet, but nobody wants to see them suffer health problems later in life because of it.

Soap box going back under the bed now.
Mama Pea, we had a discussion about the root cellar last night too. And it was brought up after he talked about that delicious salad, ha ha!

It is hard to make sure the vegetarians here get proper protein.
Linda said…
My mother refused to eat pumpkin pie when she was a child. Her mother baked a pumpkin pie, but when my mother ran in after school, she thought it was a sweet potato pie and ate it. Only then did my grandmother tell my mother what she ate. Maybe you could pass the sweet potato salad off as pumpkin salad to your daughter. Yes, I know I am late to the party.
Linda, I may have to try that, ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart