Skip to main content

Warming up with soup. . .

Monday was my typically cleaning day (for the indoors anyway).  My indoor clothesline and all of my drying racks were filled to capacity.  




 I only had to put about 4 items on the line outside.  We had wind, and a few moments of sunshine.



Most of the day it was like this - cloudy. 



I took a bit of a break and warmed up some organic tomato soup and topped it with a dab of organic butter.  My kids think I'm weird, but I've always done it that way.



 Dinner was a success.  I think everyone went back for seconds.  I pulled my first garden carrots from the freezer for this meal.  The potatoes we put in the fridge are doing well.


 I started a cat bed to put on the back of the couch.  I worked on this while the dinner cooked down.  I'm working it with a shell pattern I have not tried before.

Later I worked on handmade Christmas gifts.  I am sort of, but trying not to, in a panic over time this season.  I guess with the terrible garden year prior to this past awesome year, I didn't plan ahead for it.

I woke up to find Hubby gone.  He left for work sometime in the night.  It's a good thing he put an extra log on the fire.  I forgot to go out and fill the kindling bucket last night.  It's a frigid -7°F wind chill this morning.  Everything that was slush yesterday is frozen to the ground.  The wind is pretty cold today.  

With the kids having a 2 hour delay (again), I was up early to check the fire.  It was dog out, dog in, most of the morning, then the cats wanted fed.  I am trying to figure out dinner for tonight, but we do have leftovers. 

I think I might soak some soup beans tonight and make a kale and ham bone soup tomorrow.  Warming up with soup sounds wonderful.  In fact, I secretly hope school cancels today.  I could simply hang around in my warm robe and sip hot teas (or coffee) for once.  

Then again, I still have to don Hubby's full body carhartt, to make a trip to the animal barn.  I'm not complaining.  A -7°F wind chill is a piece of cake, considering our -28 from last season.  This year our November is a very cold one, compared to normal temperatures.

Comments

Susan said…
I pretty much live on soup during the fall/winter. And I live on salads all spring/summer. It's monotonous, but I love it! Those full-body carhartts are the best things going. Stay warm!!!
Kim said…
We had record lows yesterday as well. But no snow to speak of, just cold and windy with rain ice and snow mix all day. Today we are froze solid! I did morning chores and now I am in for the day.
Kim, I know what you mean about "froze solid." We are today. The roads are terrible in some places too.
Susan, I probably look like a crazy person in my carhartt get-up, because they are very old and stained. But they do keep me warm.
Liz said…
Wow, you have a lot more snow then us! But we sure got hit with the cold. It is to early in the season to start this! Stay warm!
RB said…
Gee, and we're thinking 20 degrees in Raleigh, NC is chilly. LOL But I know whatcha mean. I grew up wayyy North, and it can get very cold, especially if there are winds whipping in off Lake Erie...can freeze the snot into an icycle growing right off the end of your nose. (Really. Have seen it happen.) But yeah, soup's the answer, to a lot of things. LOL

That blanket you're making is a gorgeous color, and then the shell pattern is a gorgeous one too.

Potatoes, carrots, any root vegetables really, should last through the winter in a cold cellar, one that doesn't freeze that is. That's where we always stored ours, in burlap sacks beneath the cellar stairs.

Ya'all stay safe and warm. Ya hear.

God bless.

RB
<><
RB, it's cold today, but we hope to get a slight warm up this weekend.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart