Skip to main content

As random as it gets. . .

I have no new recipe to share, no family funny, nor exciting updates today.  It's a cold, cloud covered day here today, and you can tell the snow is on the way.

When the girls got home from school, they could hear gun shots out behind the homestead.  I did my usual walk around the property.


I found one sign ripped off the stake this time, and stapled it back on with about 15 staples.  Last year, I was out putting clothes on the line, and saw orange hats and coats in my pasture.  I walked out and asked who gave them permission and they gave me the farmer's name, not the land owner, and I told them to get off my property.  Hunters.  Deer season is a little less than two weeks away. 

Today I'm pondering over what to cook for the get together at Hubby's family this year.  He's insisting I make cheesy potatoes, but I call them "processed potatoes." 

I think today's amount of cooking will be making two "cans" of condensed mushroom soup.  If he wants potatoes, I'm making them as unprocessed as I can.  I just get tired of making the same thing every year, but he's not budging.  I may yet convince him to take a vegetable this year.  No one takes a vegetable.  I'm thinking squash and corn casserole. Now that sounds better.  Brussel sprouts, peas or barbeque green beans sound good too.  Even asparagus.  Mashed potatoes and kale sound better, or even kohrabi or beets.  It's funny how the vegetables get forgotten about, in all the hype of how much food we can shove down our throats on Thanksgiving.


Last year, two others brought potatoes too.  I think my 15 year-old will whip up some pumpkin cookies to take along.  I think I will re-think this and go through my recipe box.

Today was a morning I wished I had a coffee pot in my bedroom.  I was up an hour before I even sat down with a cup of coffee.  Dog out , dog in, cats, dog out, dog in, another cat, dog out, dog in......you get the picture.  I just wanted to hibernate a bit, rejuvenate with some good organic coffee, and breath.

There is no wind today, so it's not a good laundry day here.  No sun either, so bedding will wait a day I think.  I did not get a thing done yesterday either.  Monday really discombobulated my chores.





The birds are everywhere anyway.  I'd be bombed with bird poo even if I did put laundry outside.  I wonder if the pioneers would have found this bird situation as an opportunity for black bird pie?


I purchased these during my last trip to the health store.  I looked up the first ingredient and it's something people used years ago to put on their spear heads when hunting.  Now that doesn't make these "Stress Mints" very appealing, even knowing they are in small amounts.  I think I'll stick to my herbal teas for now.
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart