Skip to main content

Time for Teriyaki . . .



With some fresh cut broccoli, and sugar snap peas, I thought it would be a perfect time to make a chicken stir fry (over organic brown rice).  I whipped up a batch of homemade teriyaki sauce for it.  And there really is organic soy sauce.  Check for it in the organic section of your store, or near the regular soy sauce.  Not all stores carry it.  

Also, I use one brand (Wholesome Sweeteners) of light corn syrup that does not contain high fructose corn syrup.  It is organic and non-gmo verified.  I do have to order it online from a healthy living store.  Our stores here do not carry it. 
Here is the recipe link if you are interested:  Homemade Teriyaki Sauce 

As for the sauce, a little goes a long way for flavor.  If you make it, use a little, taste, and then add if necessary.   It's always a winner dinner in our home.  Everyone loves it.

I just made the deadline for a recent article.  I felt horrible I turned it in directly on the deadline date.  I never do that.  I am always prepared and on top of things.  I am pretty sure I won't be blogging every day in July.  Sorry guys, but I think I'll be in the garden and kitchen more too.

Last night I sweltered it out, and picked more berries.  My canning days are about to start real soon.

In case you are wondering, "stalker" guy did pay us a visit again yesterday.  This time it was around 3pm, and with his truck, driving real slow and almost stopping at the north property markers.  He then continued past the entire property very slowly.   He turned around down the road and passed by again, then back to his house.  It's as if we cannot leave our home empty.  Ever.  

Document, film, photograph......something must have been done recently too.  Last Sunday we watched a truck and trailer haul his bulldozer out and away, with him following.  Hmm.  The Hubs will make some calls and see if anything is or was being done about this.  

Well, I'm heading back out to the garden today. First a chicken is going in the roasting pan.  The Hubs went golfing with his co-workers.  They do this once a year, and he's never gone until this year.  He's never golfed either.  I would have loved to tag along an film it, ha ha!  I'm sure I'll hear how it went later this afternoon.



 


Comments

Kelly said…
I'm not blogging everyday in July either there is too much to do around here (:
I hope someone is shutting down your neighbors operation. What a creep!
I just made stir fry venison and broccoli last night. Not Teriyaki...but like beef and broccoli. It was good. I didn't serve it with noodle or rice as I'm cutting the carbs-- I was glad there was enough, because we all 3 filled up on broccoli, venison and carrots. No left overs...but it was so good!
Hope since the bulldozer is gone that means it won't be long before the 'neighbors' are gone too.
Hang in there.
We're not golfers-- we just like to swat the ball as hard and as far as we can!
Pat
EMMA said…
I'd love to try this - we have delicious little mange-tout in the garden at the moment - but we most definitely can't get corn syrup here (what is it, by the way)- would honey work instead?
Hope you get all this trouble with your neighbors sorted soon, they sound like they are going out of their way to be very horrible!
Honey might work. Corn syrup is a thick sugary syrup. It's what we use to make hard candy at Christmas time. I might even try making it with honey next time.
RB said…
As a diabetic, one thing we've started using at our home recently in some recipes is agave syrup. It's a good substitute for some of the corn syrups, etc., but the body uses it slowly which avoids sugar spikes. It's especially good when used to sweeten salad dressings, etc. - any place you'd use corn syrup or other liquid sweeteners I think.

Another thing I've started using on my french toast (which I LOVE), pancakes, bagels, toast, etc., is no-sugar-added jams and jellies, that have been sweetened with Splenda. Smucker's has a line that's pretty good. They're not entirely sugar free because there is natural sugar in the fruit itself, but they are much better for diabetics than conventional jams and jellies.

So if sugar is a nemesis for you, you might keep the agave and the no-sugar-added jams and jellies in mind.

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart