Skip to main content

Another Recipe from Pile to File ~ Saucy Salmon ~ Winter Woes

I tried yet another recipe from my hoarded pile.  I did adjust it a teensy bit, and although green onion gives a dish color, I opted for shallots.

It's not really called "Saucy" but it did make a lot of sauce, so I think I could cut back on the sour cream next time.  I am lucky to be able to find organic butter, sour cream and cottage cheese at our local grocer.  I also had organic whole wheat rotini noodles on hand for this recipe.  The family fought over leftovers, they liked it that much.

We awoke to all water pipes frozen.   Oh glory.  I can absolutely say, without care, that I am sick of this winter.  It can leave any day now.   

I helped Hubby work on the pellet stove, and we removed the auger, and are looking for a new one now.  Last night Hubby was so cold, he was in bed with a sweatshirt on, and the hood up.  I had to laugh, he looked hilarious.  It really was that cold.  My hands hurt to knit.

Hubby picked up the price list for meat chickens - Jumbo Cornish Rocks, $1.20 each.  Last year we raised White Rocks and they were too small.  We are still contemplating.

Last night we got a call that Hubby's niece's daughter (17) was in a car accident.  We have yet to hear if she is okay, but her passenger was sent up to another hospital with various injuries.  The passenger ended up in the back seat after impact.  Unfortunately, the daughter driving had pulled out in front of someone, and it was a road where folks drive 55mph or more.  I was told the woman who hit them is okay.  Ironically, one of Hubby's nephew's boys, had been in the area at that time, and actually was one of the first folks to come upon the scene.

Here is the original recipe (from the 1968 cookbook, The Pots & Pans Cookbook, by Ann Seranne, and Joan Wilson), noted with our changes (other than using organic, or home grown items):



Salmon Romanoff
(serves 4)

1/2 cup finely chopped green onions (I used shallots)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. butter 
1 cup cottage cheese
2 cups sour cream
5 dashes Tabasco (or homemade hot sauce)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 pound can salmon (I used pouches of wild caught salmon)
6 ounces medium noodles (we used  12 oz. organic whole wheat rotini, there is that much sauce)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (we used a bit more)

1. In a 10 inch skillet saute onion and garlic in butter until onion is transparent and tender.  Empty into a large mixing bowl.
Note:  I simply removed my skillet from the burner, and onto a hot pad.  I mixed right in the same pan.

2. Stir in cottage cheese, sour cream, Tabasco, and salt.  Stir in liquid from can of salmon.  Flake and add salmon.  Mix lightly.

3. Preheat oven to 325°F.  Grease open baker (10 x 6 x 2 in.)

4. Cook noodles in 3-quart saucepan according to package directions.  Drain and stir into salmon mixture.

5. Turn mixture into baking dish and sprinkle with shredded cheese.  Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly brown. 


"Through hard work, perseverance and a faith in God, you can live your dreams."
  ~ Benjamin Carson

Comments

Willow said…
I hope things warm up ~ and look up for your soon.
Sending well wishes and a little prayer for your niece and the injured parities .
Kim said…
Saying a prayer for the accident victims. Sorry about your pipes....again! Hope everyone gets warm and stays warm soon.
Liz said…
This looks pretty tastey! We have worn ourselves out of salmon for the moment. UGH on those pipes!! Hope everyone is okay after that scarey accident!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart