Skip to main content

Pretend Snow Day ~ Homesteading Tidbits


The snow did not arrive as the forecast predicted.  The wind came with a small bit of it, and that was it.  I had Saturday night and Sunday to do whatever I felt like - no demands, no errands, no schedule, pretending I had a few snow days. This morning we have a -9° wind chill.  The bitter cold has moved back in on us.

Grab of cup of coffee or tea.  It's a long Monday morning ramble. . .



We borrowed a chainsaw to cut more wood (our chainsaw blade went into the shop for sharpening).  Hubby has to order a part for the pellet burner, and while we wait, we are seeking wood pellets.  They are hard to find right now, considering the harsh winter this year.

As for the chainsaw we borrowed, it too needed a new blade, and he tried all day to find one. He finally got a blade and got it running around 8pm.  Too late, too cold, and too dark to cut any wood.

Speaking of "hard to find" we are seeking hay for the goats now. It's very difficult to find right now.  We are running out too quickly this winter.  This is why I keep a homesteading journal. We can go back, read how much we bought and when, and add more to the order for this year.





I did take some time to tinker around with my crochet hooks and knitting needles.  I worked on another dishcloth and crocheted an eyeglass case using #10 cotton thread.  It's a vintage pattern from a book my mother gave me.  I may consider making a few more of these.  Hubby even asked for one for his eyeglasses.  Of course he wants a different color than yellow. 



I also baked a batch of homemade granola.  It smells so good when it's baking too. 


(Ginger ale and Hot Ginger Tea)

I made a batch of hot ginger tea and one of ginger ale too. My son caught the flu-like bug here, and was needing the ginger ale.  It works so much better than the stuff from the store.


We can definitely tell a difference in the home, with our pellet stove not working.  The electric wall/floor heaters do not produce enough heat, and cost more to run.   I honestly don't like running them either.  I don't feel they are safe.  Prior to moving in, the house had no heating system other than the wood stove.  Nothing.  The folks working on the house installed the electric floor heaters the day prior to moving in.  Did I mention the older part of the house is from the 30's?  Just a lot to think about.

I hope we can get it fixed soon, but like most large families, Hubby works full-time (with fireman training, and over time) outside the home.  There is a lot of responsibilities falling on him this week.  I asked him to buy me a small chainsaw, so I could cut wood during the day (when it is warmer too), and he said no.  Hmpf.   Over time, he may give in.


We now have a critter in the wall of the kitchen bathroom.  We can hear it scratching around and such.  It's terrifying to our 14 year-old, who is the one who keeps getting visited by mice in the bathroom.   Ha ha!  Hopefully the cats will catch it, if it does make an appearance.

We also have another pesky raccoon again.  We have to remember to bring the cat food in every night, so the pest will leave the area.  We had one prior to this, but he met his maker on the highway last week.

Over the weekend I pulled another recipe from my pile.  I'll be sharing it soon.  My 17 year-old almost had it for breakfast, they liked it that much.  Hint:  It contains salmon.





Comments

Kelly said…
We got your snow :/

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart