Skip to main content

Old Commerical Songs

School closed today.  I am pretty sure they will be going tomorrow. We are to get a high of 15°F today and at around 6:00am tomorrow it will only be a low of -4°F.  Timmy, our barn cat did come to the door last night.  Thankfully he's okay.  He must have found a good place to hunker down for the night, and stay warm.
 
I'm showing my age with my kids this week.  For some reason I was singing the (1973) old Oscar Mayer song, which led me to the Tic Tac song (from 1974), which got us talking about how much our meal choices have changed.


Hard to believe I grew up on bologna, spaghettios (which became part of my English paper on sodium in "pretend" foods, when I was attending college a few years ago), and velveeta cheese.

Back to the songs.  If you click on the links you can hear them on YouTube - ha ha ha!  My kids were very amused.  I think they were more amused that we actually had fun without electronics - swings, bikes, skateboards, skates, hula hoops, tree houses, unicycle, trips to the city pool, etc.


As kids, my sisters and I, used to swing on my Grandma's swings and sing the Tic Tac song.  We'd jump off the swings when we screamed "Bang" in the song, ha ha ha!  Oh those were the good ol' days.
 
Another one we used to sing while swinging, was one about McDonald's:

McDonald's is your kind of place
(can't remember this line)
Pickles between your toes
French fries up your nose
And don't forget those crummy shakes
They come from polluted lakes
I want my money back
Before I have a heart attack

.......I think I'll go build myself a swing.

Comments

Candy C. said…
It is amazing how our definition of 'food' has come full circle, back to REAL food! I actually feel guilty if I eat a hot dog now. Speaking of which, the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile was down to the local Walmart on Saturday but, dang it, I didn't have my camera with me!
Liz said…
Glad the cat made it home! I didn't eat a lot of hotdogs, but canned spaghetti O's was one of my favorites!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart