Skip to main content

From the Homesteading Journal . . . Homemade Goat - Milk Lotion

....all within the last few days

 
 . . . Hubby and son rigged up the dog kennel for the meat chicks, and the layer chicks are outside now (we got the kennel for free, covered the top, and sides with chicken wire).  The barred rock layers are finally outside.




. . . unloaded a second truck load of mulch into the front flower beds.

 . . . planted flower seeds - nasturtium, zinnia, poppy, wildflower, marigold, and snapdragon.


. . . my son mowed down the garden patch out near the barn and it's ready to till again.


. . . my 16 year-old daughter made a homemade lotion with goat's milk.  It's not your thick creamy lotion, and must be refrigerated, but it works well so far. 

Goat - Milk Lotion
1 cup of goat milk, room temperature
1/8 cup mild olive oil
1/8 tsp white vinegar
Add 4 drops of essential oil

Put goat milk and olive oil in a glass bowl, and mix thoroughly.  An old-style rotary egg beater is good for this task.  When well blended, add the essential oil, and blend it in.  A pump-style container makes a good dispenser for this type of lotion.  Shake before using; then refrigerate.  Try spearmint essential oil for a summer refresher.

(From The Whole Goat Handbook, by Janet Hurst)
If you have dairy goats, this book contains lots of recipes for milk, body care and meat.  There is even a recipe for honey ice cream!  Yum!      

 . . .  planted 28 pepper plants (chili, banana and green), and have another 20 to plant today.  Today, I start planting 158 tomato plants.  Pototoes, peas, lettuce, arugula, and  cabbage are up.  Spinach is not.  I think I planted it too late. 


. . . Hubby hired a guy to mow the pasture with a tractor.  It looks so much better, and now we can start the goat fencing.  

. . . the raccoon made another appearance. Hmpf.  I guess I'm gardening today with a hoe in hand.  A baseball bat is just too short for this gal.

~~~

Mom asked me how I do it all.

I sweat through 3 pairs of underwear, and chant "I can do it" over and over.   

 

Comments

Sandra said…
Wow, thats a lot of plants!!
Kim said…
I know just what you mean! I sold at 2 markets this weekend and at an auction on saturday night and in between I was planting and working in the beds.

Keep up the good work and think of the work ethic you are showing your children.
Your house front is beautiful.Weather is lovely up here but the blackflies and mosquitoes are thick so one must pace themselves.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart