Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Tuesday Tidbits

Yesterday started with a beautiful sunrise.  We won't see many more as we crawl into winter.

I was a hot mess myself Monday morning.  It was madness I tell ya'.  First, I was so tired Sunday night we decided to leave the blanket and towels on the line and get them down in the morning. 

I was so tired I wasn't thinking that they'd be covered in dew and damp, and we hired our biker friend to come mow before it rained.  I ran out and took it all down after getting tomatoes cut and in the pot, only to find out the mower is not running.  All the hydro static oil leaked out and something is very wrong (adding to the to-do list).

I had to put away all the dishes Hubby washed before I could even start the tomatoes, and after that, had to wash dishes again and put them away so I had the counter free to can soup later.  

I opened the dishwasher and couldn't tell if Hubby unloaded just the bottom and forgot the top, so I re-ran it too.  Later in the morning I unnecessarily freaked out when I heard the water pump kick on, only to remember the dishwasher was running.  By 11am I seriously needed a good long nap, but that didn't happen.

Ground beef had to be prepped for the crock pot.  I had to get that done while the soup reduced or dinner wasn't going to happen.

5 pints of delicious Lemony-Tomato Basil Soup Canned.

Once everything was done in the kitchen, as far as canning and dinner prep, I had washed and dried dishes 4 times.


Something I've noticed - when I make homemade lip balm with calendula oil, it grow mold within 6 months.  When I make it with lemon balm oil, it last much longer.  What infused oil do you use?

4 comments:

RB said...

Sounds like you had a very confusing day. It happens now and then to all of us, doesn't it.
I don't make the lip balm, but I'm wondering if one of two things might help.
1. Keeping the unused stash in a fridge, and/or
2. Adding a couple of drops of Tea Tree Oil.
Tea Tree Oil is a natural disinfectant, so it might work. Double check though to be sure it'd be safe on the lips.
Have an appointment with an accupunturist (sp?) tomorrow. I hope it helps with the back pain because the next step if it doesn't would be surgery, and I don't want back surgery. Well... who would.
Prayers everyone has their best week yet, and a safe one for you and your loved ones too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks for the tip RB, and I do hope your back is feeling better soon!

Mary said...

When I tried making herbal lip balm, ointment etc.. I was advised to make it in small amounts for the short term, never for the long term so I don’t know what to suggest. I didn’t continue making it long term

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mary, I have been using the recipe from Mountain Rose Herbs, and within 6 months the tubes grow mold. Now that I switched the infused oil to lemon balm, it lasts the rest of the year and that is typically when we run out. I am switching out the tubes for metal containers now, and maybe that makes a difference? Not sure.