One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Turnip and Beet Casserole ~ My own version

If you are a pioneer at heart, and have turnips growing in your garden this year, you'll like this recipe I created.  The only thing the kids complained about, was the appearance of it.  I think I may make this again, by boiling the beets and turnips separately, and then layer them, but that would mean mixing ingredients differently too.  Here is my delicious version of a Turnip and Beet Casserole.



TURNIP AND BEET CASSEROLE

4 med. turnips, peeled and diced
3 small or 2 medium beets, peeled and diced

Boil turnips and beets in a saucepan with just enough water to cover them.  Once it comes to a boil, cover and turn the temperature down to low heat until turnips and beets are tender/soft enough to mash.  Approximately 15-20 minutes.
Drain and mash them together.*
Mix in:
1 farm fresh egg, beaten
1/3 cup of white granulated sugar*
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. organic butter
 Transfer mixture to an 8-inch by 8-inch (2 qt.) glass baking dish, sprayed with non-stick organic olive oil spray.
Sprinkle dried Thyme and chopped Rosemary over the top.*
Bake casserole at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.

Notes:
~It is just as delicious to hand mash the vegetables, leaving small bits in it.
~Sugar substitute can be used or amount can be lowered.
~Use home grown herbs, grown without chemicals.

Simply re-heat any leftovers for delicious flavor.  My husband told me I should not change a thing on this recipe, but if I do, I'll be sure to post the changes.

No comments: