Skip to main content

Happy Homemaker Monday

Exciting news!  We have opened the blueberry-basil vinegar I canned last fall.  We love it.  It's perfect for salads!  I'm so glad I made the vinegar.  I have not yet drained the vinegars that are being infused with chive blossoms just yet, but those will also be used for salads and marinades this summer.  Yum!



Joining Sandra today at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom for today's Happy Homemaker.  Enjoy.  It's my last time participating in this.


If you didn't see it until now, I did a spring clean on my blog, and so far love it.  What do you think?

More organizing?  After using up some older note paper, I have splurged, and obtained a magnetic meal planner pad, with perforated grocery list that tears off.  Talk about getting organized.  Too often, I will sticky note the heck out of the kitchen with meal ideas, and then get so off track.  Not anymore.




Has anyone noticed on blogger, that when you have a draft post in the works, and you make a change on it, it does not move to the top anymore?  I have to click drafts now and find what I last worked on if I have had posts published in between.  I loved that feature, and now it's not longer a feature?  Urgh.

 



The Weather . . . 
88°F/61°, possible rain today (went from a 90% chance to 20-30 now).  Rain possible all day Tuesday.  We need it.


Right now I am . . .
Drinking coffee and planning out the week.


Thinking and pondering . . .
-Canning more blueberry basil vinegar this year. 
-Canning roasted red peppers this year, or pickling them.
-Planting about 5 more red bell pepper plants. 
-Calling around for local strawberries.  There is a lack of supply.  We have yet to build our raised beds (still on the list).



How I am feeling. . . 
My ears are still draining and starting to feel better.  I am sun burned, and have very sore muscles, but read yesterday's post to catch up on what's going on.


On the breakfast plate . . .
I have no idea yet.  For once, we were both so busy that we have no idea what either of us want as well.

On the dinner plate . . . 
Grilled burgers to go with our pasta salad, watermelon.


On the menu . . .
Popped open a jar of home canned blueberry basil vinegar for a homemade salad dressing.
Made a new pasta salad for meals these current hot and busy days.  It is delicious, but I would add white beans next time, and use fusilli pasta. I wanted to use up some shells we had in the pantry.

-brats, grilled veggies
-leftovers


On the reading table . . .
Well, I finished another book over the weekend (only thanks to long travel times for errands), and started another one, but will need to update you later.  I am too tired to go fetch it and get the title.


On the TV this past week . . .
-movie Crazy about the life of Hank Garland (good movie)
-series Dutton Ranch, the few episodes that are available now


Looking around the house . . .
Kitchen is a hot mess, but that happens when you are putting your garden in, and maintaining it, trying to work on setting up AC, fixing things, repairing fences and so forth.


On the to-do list . . .
-make some sort of breakfast
-run dishwasher, wash pots and pans (dishwasher is full)
-water all seeds planted
-get mail out
-sweep/mop
-dust
-errands
-sweep porch and patio
-write
-order organic canola oil (there is a shortage right now, and stores are empty of it)


What I am creating . . .
Have not had time or energy to work on any handiwork this past week.  If things progress, and work lets up a bit around here, I'll work on getting a photo to share.


From the camera. . . 
Visited an antique store last month, and there was a room downstairs that was specifically Christmas items.  I did not buy anything for Christmas, but I did leave with a (gulp) cookbook.


Prayers, Devotionals, Bible Verses . . .
Prayers for locating a missing 17 year-old boy in the local area.  They sent out a search party more than once, and still have not located him.

Prayers for complete healing.  It's no fun when it's hot out and your AC is not up and running yet.

Prayers for a friend and her husband working to sell their business.  

Comments

Betsy said…
I liked your post today. Learned lots about how you plan your time. I have tried so many times to make meal plans and it never works out. I used to do it when the kids were home and we stuck to it pretty well. But, in retirement, it seems we get calls from friends to go somewhere or we don't feel like what's on the menu, etc. I really need to be better about it.
Tonight is tortellini with sausage and veggies.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Betsy, your dinner sounds wonderful! Yeah, I get so off track when the garden goes in, but it's temporary madness. We are still getting asparagus too, which helps decide a vegetable.
Luludou said…
Blueberry / basil vinegar sounds good. I'll make pasta salad for supper thanks for the idea. I like the clean new blog. Have a good week
Luludou, thanks. We are really enjoying the vinegar for salad dressings overall. I just needed a change on the blog, as it appeared too much on the page to me, and needed something new.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart