Skip to main content

The Good ~ The Bad

Whelp.  It rained and rained and rained here.  We are getting a slight break this morning, but we are saturated.  Rain returns in a very short bit, and then off and on all day (again).  If we are lucky, the rain will stop come Monday.  Maybe.  Many area festivals are canceling, or have already canceled. 

On the bright side, it's watering the new trees we planted, and flower bushes, but I do have one red raspberry plant to plant too.


The Bad:  Our weekend camping trip was canceled.   It's not camping if we cannot have a campfire, go hiking or biking and/or campfire cook, or even go fishing.  Stuck in the camper would be zero fun (in our current camper anyway).  Yes, we we have an awning, but the rain was just too much, and our camper is small.  It's not a comfortable place to be when it's raining out.  In fact, we had more seating room in our 7 person pop-up camper than we do in our current hard sided camper.  It's just too small for us, and the bed is a queen short, and we are both tall people.

The Good:  We have both agreed we need more sitting space in our camper, and we are both considering getting a seasonal campground when we do upgrade.  Not set on the seasonal thing, as we both love to visit new places.  My husband said, "You better get busy writing that best seller book, so we can buy a new camper."


The Bad:  Our garden is not planted due to rain. Heck, I have flower beds that have not been weeded yet, with flowers to plant too.

The Good:  The garden was tilled, so it is ready when we do dry out.



The Good:  I bought a new plant for beautifying the house.

The Bad:  I want a few more :)  It was in somewhat bad shape, but I repotted it and watered it.  I'll let it grow a bit, but will propagate this one.  




The Bad: I could not find my sunglasses that are made to wear over my glasses.  

The Good:  In the process for looking for them, I found several pairs of reader sunglasses I can now donate somewhere.  Like about six pairs (yikes!).  Actually 7 pairs when I took that photo, but later found another pair, and I have already donated one pair.  They are all sunglasses with various levels of readers in them.  Good grief.  I do have a home for them soon.




The Good:  I went looking for a sticker to mail a friend something for a surprise.

The Bad:  Found more craft supplies I do not use, and they will be donated soon.  Not really bad, but I guess I have more purging to do in small places ha ha ha!  I don't need 100 blank (minus a few), brightly colored blank bookmarks.  Something I had for the kids activities I'm guessing.  The library may get them for the kids programs.



The Bad:  In working online with the state camping reservation system, there are so many campgrounds already booked solid, and their system is very frustrating. 

The Good:  We have been advised of other campgrounds, not on the "state" website that are quiet and have walking trails.  We do not enjoy camping where there are drunks driving around in their golf carts, but we are excited to learn of new places to go camping.


I haven't done a Good/Bad post in a while.  I hope you enjoyed it.  You may be seeing some changes on this blog soon.  Blame it on the rain, ha ha!


The Good ~ The Bad  ©  May 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart 


Comments

Great minds think alike! I changed my theme yesterday to this very one! Lol

I really liked this - the good and the bad. I can relate on sunglasses.
I like to rescue sickly plants and giving them a home to flourish. I'm excited to see new things on your blog! Change is in the air!
Debby, Ha! I just needed a new look, or fresh re-do this year, and loved the colors. I'm still playing around with it.
Betsy said…
I did enjoy this post. It can be frustrating trying to get into state campgrounds, especially on the weekends. We like going on weekdays now that we're retired. Corps of Engineers campgrounds are great too. We also like KOA's when we're traveling.
We've had lots of rain too but it's bright sunshine and 85F today.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Betsy, it'll be a few more years before my husband can retire, and yes, we'll be so happy to be able to travel weekdays for sure. I have never heard of Corps of Engineers campgrounds. Interesting. I don't think we've camped at a KOA yet either. Thanks.
You are lucky to have rain. We are very dry and in high fire danger mode. Please send us some of yours! Take good care.
diane in the northern wis, I'll try and send some rain your way. Goodness, we have definitely had more than our share of it. I am glad our new trees and bushes got watered with rain though.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart