Skip to main content

On the hunt . . .

 Whelp.  The rain and cold is still with us.  Early morning temperature was 33°F.  My rosemary looks fine however.  We may actually see a day with zero rain today.  Crossing fingers.

Not sure if you can really see the below recipe, which came from the cookbook I shared in my last post (scroll back to see).

I guess, because I have never made garlic aioli, I did not realize it is basically fresh mayonnaise with a bit of spice to it.

I'm still looking through several cookbooks, but we remain on the hunt for a good burger sauce for grilling season.  I have obtained one from a restaurant, but I need to figure out how to downsize the recipe for two people. 

There is a funny story regarding looking for this recipe, and one of these days will share it.

I'm also looking for my copy of the fruit cake recipe that was asked for so many months ago.  

Update on finding San Marzano tomato plants this spring.  We found them, and the flats range from $40 up to $63.00.  I really need a greenhouse built here.  I really do.  It's still on my wish list.  I just do not have the space in my house, or outlets for that many plant grow lights. 


Comments

Betsy said…
The recipe sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
I want a small greenhouse here. It probably will not happen, but I can still want one.
I am bookmarking this post because I want to try the brussels sprouts. They sound delicious.
$40 bucks a flat sounds like a lot, but those tomatoes are wonderful
Anne in the kitchen, same with me on the greenhouse. My husband complains every year, and yet here we are with no green house yet, ha ha! However, he works full-time, and sometimes a lot of over time too. I can still wish for one though. You know, I never saw that brussel sprout recipe until after I looked at the page ha ha! I thought it looked really good too. High plant prices mean cutting back elsewhere in order to even grow a garden. I'm considering finding someone to carpool with to do town errands too.
Jeanna said…
Such a shame prices are so high right now. Tomatoes are especially expensive. A greenhouse would be a dream, but I'd still need a green thumb to go with it LOL.
Jeanna, not sure what's going on with tomatoes this time of year, but they are very expensive for some reason. Of course they will not taste as good as home grown either.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart