Skip to main content

New Breakfast Tried ~ Butternut Apple and Kale Hash with Sausage

 

The photo is my husband's breakfast packed up the day prior.  I have to say, it would be absolutely fantastic with eggs over easy made fresh, but I do have to send breakfast on-the-go for him during the work week days.

Oh my goodness, it was delicious!  Time consuming to make, but healthy and very good.  It's a keeper recipe, with some tips to make it easier.

First, remember I ground up some of our dehydrated sage a while back?  I put it in a spice jar for easy use for making homemade chicken or turkey sausage?  Well, I'm not doing that anymore.

I discovered that the delicious sage flavor goes stale after weeks of sitting in a spice jar.  It's just not the same as crushing the full leaves dehydrated.  I'll just have to take the time to crush them for really good flavor.  



Tips:  Most butternut squash is about 3 pounds or so.  Unless I grow it myself, and have a dry year, I have never seen a "small" or 1 1/2 pound butternut squash. 

I bought a 3# one, diced it up, and saved half to freeze.  Next time I will make sure that the dicing part is done on a day with less work, and have that prep work already done.  Butternut is too hard of a squash to dice up small in my box cutter.

Tip:  I cooked 1# of organic ground turkey and 1# of ground chicken, with sausage spices on a earlier day, froze half and kept half for this breakfast. 

You could also wash and dice up the greens the day before too.  I used kale in our breakfast.

I cooked my husband's eggs the day before, and sent it with him to work to re-heat.  It re-heated well for him and he loved it.  Freshly cooked is wonderful, but this was fantastic.   

You could use any breakfast sausage, but we love to rotate ours with chicken/turkey for a lower fat breakfast.  Also, I can chose to leave out the brown sugar when I make it myself too.  Who knows what kind of sugar they use in the breakfast sausage bought in stores.  

Anyway, sharing a I-tried-it-so-you-don't-have-to breakfast recipe. 

Recipe is online with Real Food Dietitians - Butternut Squash and Apple Hash with Sausage.

Have fun, and don't make too many dirty dishes, ha ha!



Comments

Looks delicious. When we get back from our trip I will try this for TheHub. Bookmarking
Betsy said…
That does look really delicious. I'm guessing his coworkers are a bit jealous.
Blessing and hugs,
Betsy
Anne in the kitchen, I was craving garden foods, and this recipe came up when doing some searching. We love it.
Betsy, not sure if his co-workers were jealous or not. Most eat fast food for breakfast or poptarts etc. It is definitely a keeper recipe for us. Just as good as the sweet potato hash I make in the cast iron pan with eggs cooked on top.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart