Skip to main content

Infused Honey and Other Tidbits

 

I've been brewing us a morning iced tea in a quart canning jar, and adding 1 Tbsp. of infused honey to it.  It was just enough to sweeten the tea and we loved it.  I bought the infused honey at a honey festival last year, and it is now all gone.  I am sure it was not inexpensive either.  It was organic.  

Speaking of organic honey, both of us are wondering how they can assure it's "organic" when bees travel.  We are wondering if they have qualifications or specifics to classify honey as organic?  Anyway, we bought it.  We loved it.

I do have the phone number for the seller, but decided to infuse my own honey.

The above jar is started with an elderberry and hibiscus infused honey.  I'm sure it could be done faster on the stove top, but it's very hot here, and I have patience.  We are excited to see if it will taste the same.  It is a delicious one for teas.


On the home front, we had a very hot day yesterday.  My readings said 89°F and yes, I did 3 hours of garden work.  I'm glad I got that much done, as rain moved in for the evening, with some wind.

I  have drained the horsetail infused oil, but have not had a day to actually make my salve.  Soon I hope. 

The rosemary infused oil is still infusing.

I did not get enough dandelion flowers to infuse an oil for salve making this spring.  If the rain brings up more, I'll be small batch drying more.



I baked us an asparagus casserole to go with grilled burgers, and I should have weighed all the asparagus.  It was a lot, but the casserole could have used even more of it.  I did not use a recipe this time, and it does look like a lot of cheese, but I earned it with all that garden work.  Think Green Bean Casserole, but with asparagus.

I used one "can" of homemade cream of mushroom soup, added some milk and hand grated white cheddar cheese, 2 cloves of minced fresh garlic of ours, and onion powder (too lazy to dice an onion).  I topped it with other grated cheese.  Very good, but again, needs a lot more asparagus.  I am thinking are season is about over, but I will be checking it during these hot days with rain.

The heat continues, but we do need to eat, so it will be interesting the next few days.


I am thankful for the rain ~ It's watering everything planted so far.

I am thankful for coffee ~ It jump starts my day.

I am thankful for paper and pen ~ Writing is my passion.

I am thankful for the recent asparagus ~ Food on the table.  Healthy food.

I am thankful for flowers ~  They are the a "feel good" and stress lowering beauty, and the bees and hummingbirds love them.

Infused Honey and Other Tidbits  ©  May 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart 


Comments

Betsy said…
You sure keep busy with your homemade goodies and treatments. I don't have the space or patience for much of it and I can't stand up long enough to do much. The tea with the infused honey sounds wonderful.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Asparagus does not do well here, but if I had started it a few years ago I could possible g4t enough for a casserole, which is one of our favorites
Betsy, we ran out of our infused honey, and although the phone number is on the jar, I decided to make our own honey. The location for the honey to buy is over an hour away, and expensive. It may even taste better making it ourselves. Blessings and hugs.
Anne in the kitchen, I wish I too, had started much more of it years ago. We get enough for the season, but hopefully in the future we'll get enough to even freeze for future meals.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart