Skip to main content

Hot Mess Express turns Ship Shape Sally ~ 31 Weeks and 5 days Until Christmas


I'm finally getting so organized that it makes my mornings start much, much smoother, with evenings ending even more smoothly.  Clean kitchen counters.  Everything has a "place."  I actually know where things are now. It may take many more months, but it's been a fun and very productive.

We are not done purging, re-organizing, cleaning out things we do not use anymore, etc.  I have one major room to complete, but I am slowly chipping away at it when time allows.  


Mornings are now in the 60-70's, and we may even hit 80-90°.


Don't panic or anything, but yes, I finally got the recipe typed out for those who wanted it.  You can find my recipe trial post HERE (photos included). 

The recipe was written in cursive, so my kids did not want the recipe.  The younger two cannot read cursive hand writing (pretty sad).


Fruit Cake

Recipe comes from my Grandma's friend on my Mother's side of the family. See notes on my trial baking this recipe.  The recipe was passed down from one Aunt to my mother (sister to sister), and eventually landed with me.  My Aunt gave the recipe 5 stars at the top, and noted it was the one to bake if you were going to bake a fruit cake for Christmas.

Sift 3 cups of flour and 2 teaspoons baking powder into 2 lbs. of dates, 1 lb. candied cherries and 1 lb. of candied pineapple.

Mix all well with flour and baking powder.

Beat 8 eggs well and add:

2 cups sugar

1 teaspoon salt

3 teaspoons vanilla 

Beat this well and add to fruit mixture.

Last add 2 lb. pecans and mix well.

Bake at 275°F or 300°F for 2 1/2 hours.

Put pan of water on bottom of oven while baking.  When cooled pour grape juice or rum over it and wrap.

Again, see my original post for any more details.  Enjoy!


Hot Mess Express turns Ship Shape Sally ~ 31 Weeks and 5 days Until Christmas  ©  May 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Betsy said…
My days are pretty slow and boring now that we're retired. I try to get some exercise in the morning but in the afternoon I have plenty of time to knit/crochet. Life has slowed way down in the last five years.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Betsy, my husband is not retired from work, so my days can be very productive. We live in the boonies, so a drive to town takes much of my day, and on those days, I get a day off ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart