Skip to main content

Fall is Here

 It's officially "fall" here now.  Woke up to 40°F and boy it is very chilly.  The leaves are turning even more, and more are falling.  The tomatoes are done for the garden season too.

5 pints of Lemony-Basil Tomato Soup was canned.  I normally get about 2-3 batches canned, but not this year.  I am thankful for what we did get.  The cold weather has started to diminish the amount of herbs we are getting from the herb garden now.

There are other goals now that the tomatoes are all processed. We will need to pull everything left in the garden(s), and do other prep work to put them to "bed" for the season. 

I still have apples to process, but they are in the fridge for now.  I need to get caught up with other work and I have a strainer full of garden bell peppers to dice and freeze.

I totally forgot that I planted several rosemary plants inside the garden this year, so I will need to process those (have no plans to try for the umpteenth time to keep them alive all winter indoors).

I now have a container labeled "canning" that holds old towels, and hot pads, and one apron.  It is now where I will be keeping all those items involved with canning.  They will not be taking up space in my kitchen, and I can grab the container when needed.  If you have canned with tomatoes or anything that stains or splatters, you'd understand why I would only use the older items to can with.  

In the meantime, I am writing up a plan for winter.

Fall is Here  ©  October 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Katie C. said…
I too have trouble keeping my rosemary plants alive through the winter.

I have a TON of huge green tomatoes on the vine still. We planted late this year due to the weather. Do you think they can handle 40 degrees?

Is your soup recipe from Ball?
Katie, I have tried to keep rosemary alive indoors for years, but someone told me to just use a spray bottle for watering. Not sure about that idea. The soup recipe is from a Better Homes and Gardens canning book. Sorry for not sharing that tidbit. I am thinking the tomatoes will handle 40 degrees, but after a frost most likely not. We have zero green tomatoes. Everything just started dying.
Rosemary plants need the perfect indoor conditions to survive! I used to grow them in the greenhouse and they like things just right...watering and warmth! Nice looking jars of tomato soup:)
I am still processing tomatoes every single day. I think my favorite wooden spoon is now permanently stained red from all the stirring action it has gotten. We are getting about 2 cups of cherry tomatoes and 5 or so large slicing tomatoes each day.
R’s Rue said…
This makes me so happy. Have a blessed day my friend.
Far Side of Fifty, thanks for that info. I kept one alive the longest when we used the woodstove. Crazy plants for sure. Thanks, the soup will be cherished for sure.
Anne in the kitchen, enjoy them while you can. Our weather turned, so frost is an issue for us now. I would be loving to have more for salads, salsas, and what not.
Thank you R's Rue, may your day be blessed as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart