Skip to main content

No Shortage of Boredom

 We finally got rain, after 20 plus days of 90 degree plus weather.  Despite watering the garden, it was looking fried by the heat, humidity and sun.  The zucchini plants are starting to die off with little harvest already.







Garden goodies - canned sweet pickle relish, green and wax beans (the wax are doing much better than the green this year), hot pepper mustard sauce canned (a mix of hot banana peppers and organic yellow mustard), and it's delicious on chicken or meatballs (a recipe handed down from a friends Mother who has since passed), some of our black raspberries that we are harvesting in abundance this year.  Not sure what's happening to our red raspberry bushes, but nothing much from them this year.  I may have been too late in putting out the bird deterrent. 




Purchased sweet corn to freeze in case our own home grown is not enough.  It is grown locally, and not by a farmer.  The corn hair brush works great to remove the hair bits.  We are still waiting on our own sweet corn (planted late due to a cold May).



A family favorite - homemade granola (made with honey).  We enjoy this either by itself or on yogurt.  A much loved item that I once gifted at Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas, I am losing my steam to plow ahead with the advent gifts.  I think the lack of communication with anyone may be the reason.  So why bother?  Unless someone wants to borrow something, or needs something from us, we don't hear from anyone.  I guess, we are both tired of doing things for other people, that just expect from us.  

As for self care, at a minimum, I finished the following book, and crocheted a matching granny square for our book blanket.



I am not fond of this author.  I have read 2 books by her.  I think I may have one more book by her, but they seem all the same with the same sort of plot etc.  The ending was very long and drawn out with some drama.


I am reading a much different book now, by Ariel Lawhon and it is very good, but it is long.  A 400 plus page book.  It's taking me a while to read, as the garden (amongst every other thing) is keeping us very busy.  Maybe too busy, and we are both ready for a slowdown.

Comments

I do love the book blanket you are making.
We don't have a true garden but do have things planted in various places in the yard. The guy who cuts our grass ran over the tops of the green bean plants and they never produced, so we are down to tomatoes, cukes, and a single cantaloupe.
Anne in the kitchen, on no! I do see that our area Farmer's Markets are selling green beans. I may skip it next year and buy them. Your garden sounds pretty good to me. Thanks, the book blanket was an early idea in the year. So far, so good.
Something about fruit and vegetables photos. So wholesome and colorful. That granola looks good.
Betsy said…
It looks like you're making progress with both putting up food and the book blanket. We're still in S. Dakota for another week. I've been trying to do a post for over two weeks but blogger keeps "redacting" it. I have no idea why. There is nothing sensitive on it at all. Any ideas?
Blessings,
Betsy
Leigh said…
Our unbearably hot dry spell last month took the same toll on our garden. Even with watering things suffered. No raspberries this year, at all. Even so, like you I've got plenty to do from what we've harvested. Working on pear sauce again today.
Thank you Debby @ My Shasta Home, the recipe for the granola is on my blog I think. It is baked, and delicous.
Betsy, thank you. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with posting on your blog. I have no idea why it's doing that to you. Maybe check your privacy settings to see if your location has something to do with it?? It's very confusing to me to.
Leigh, I do think I will skip planting any squash at all next year. to also give us time to kill off squash bug eggs. The bugs are terrible this year, slowing our harvest. Pear sauce sounds good. You reminded me that I need to get a barrier attached to our apple tree. one tree branches out much lower, and easier for raccoons and squirrels to climb. We are not able to install a "bucket" baffle, like we did on the other tree. I do need to check our pear trees next.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart