Skip to main content

Colder Weather (again) ~ 43 degrees! What?!

 I have yet to remedy the websites using my blog for whatever they are using it for.  The views cut down by about 200, but considering I posted a very, very short post yesterday, it's still getting 300 views from advertiser businesses and other businesses.  All to read about how they are using my blog too.

It is very annoying to be honest.  I have not had a lot of time to work on putting a stop to it, but I did look into a few of the sites to "opt" out and there were no options to remove my blog.  Not sure what to do next.  If I do remedy the situation, I will remove the page breaks on my posts.

The majority of viewers are from Hong Kong and Singapore (huh?).  Like it's been suggested, AI may be the reason, and one we cannot avoid, as Blogger has very little privacy options.

The weather dipped again, and it dipped much cooler than we anticipated.  It went to 43 degrees!  The San Marzano tomatoes are pretty much 3/4th green and the rest more of an orange.  Nothing is ripe, other than our beef type and cherry type heirloom tomatoes.  I'm tempted to just pick all of the somewhat turned tomatoes and bring them inside.

Here is the reality of gardening . . . 




Moldy vegetables, rotten spots even before ripe, and most all weather related.  

And check this out . . .

It is a mashed potato squash.  It should be white and it is yellow!  The ones on the same vine are white, but not very big.  Cross pollination??  Crazy!  There are at least two that turned yellow.




We are getting a good amount of our cherry and beef type tomatoes to add to our meals.


We are getting some bell peppers despite, but they are much smaller and the harvest is much smaller this year.  The hot peppers are much smaller and again, the harvest is much less than any year before (not even enough hot banana to can).



The potato plants died off, so the potatoes were dug up.  We laughed, as they look like we planted "fingerling" potatoes. They are about 1/3rd of the size they should be.  Sigh.

While our Red Russian Kale is being eaten by something, the Swiss chard is still doing pretty good.  I brought more in to roast them.

The recipe is from Allrecipes.  You bake the stems with onion (we add bell pepper and freshly minced garlic), then take it out and layer the chopped greens (tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper), and top with feta cheese.  Bake it again and it's delicious.


It doesn't look like much, but it's pretty good, and we love it for a side dish for about any meal.  

We are getting sporadic rainfall, but nothing to help anything in the garden.  The colder nights will continue for another week they say.  

Comments

Nice harvest, gardening is a challenge sometimes, but at least you made the effort and got some produce.
I do not worry about who reads or doesn't read or use the blog...maybe it is educational for foreigners:)
Far Side of Fifty, yes, we are definitely getting some harvest, but it has been a trying year for sure.
Faith said…
Hoping you both are feeling better, and that this blog stuff gets resolved. I'm considering going to another platform..
Faith thank you. I'm still on the mend, but heading towards being myself again. My husband didn't get it as bad, but still did. If you find a better, more private and safe platform, please let us now. We are all pretty much disturbed at the use of our blog content.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart