Skip to main content

Rainy Day

 We had another rainy day, so I was able to have a much slower indoor day (sort of).  It was also so humid outside after the rain stopped, so it was not even enjoyable.  There was also a smoke haze in the air, compromising the air quality.  I did not get any Swiss chard cut as it heavily downpoured most of the day yesterday. 

Our garden is about 2-3 weeks behind, compared to last year.  I think it was due to a very cold May, and we planted much later.  I am getting kale, Swiss chard, and radishes.  The zucchini is on, but only about 1 inch long right now.

I do need to dig the fall planted garlic up soon.  I dug one up already, and we are very happy with the size of it this year.



I'm trying out my "vegetable" keeper container to see how long it keeps our freshly cut kale fresh.  I bought the containers on clearance a few years ago, specifically to keep pickling cucumbers in, to collect and keep fresh, until I had enough to can with.  I may be looking for more similar containers, if these keep the greens fresh too (first good harvest in many years).



I used some of the Red Russian Kale in our dinner the other night.  I was worried we would have needed another side vegetable, but this was perfectly enough.  I cooked the turkey cutlets in the crockpot with barbeque sauce, and later in the evening made the "One Pot Beans, Greens, and Grains" recipe that I found in the New York Times newspaper.  By the way, I found the recipe online, and I linked it.  It is the first recipe I have found where it does not require you to have a membership of some sort.

It is very similar to how I make my quinoa, but I used leftover broth instead of water.  I used great northern beans, but you can use any beans of your choice.  I will double the amount of kale in it the next time.  


Not the best photo, but I'm on the last round of the pink and white baby blanket.  I'll get a better photo once it's finally finished, and ends sewn in.  Once this is finished, I really need to get caught up with my crochet book blanket.  I now have several finished granny squares, but need to attach them.  I finished another book last night, so I will be crocheting yet another square soon.

Rainy Day ©  July 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Betsy said…
I like the border that you're putting on the blanket. It's so pretty. I don't think anyone has had to do any watering et this year. We get rain every couple of days and it's like a jungle out there right now. With the hot days in between, the gardens are growing huge!
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Betsy, thank you. I would not have even known about the baby blanket pattern if I had not gotten it from you and your blog. It's so pretty. We got more rain last night too.
Far Side of Fifty, thank you. I'm now looking for new patterns to do.
What a busy lady you've been! I look forward to seeing what's next!
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage, thanks. I just finished the baby blanket.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart