Skip to main content

Very Cold First Morning of June

The evening temperatures are still cooler than we'd like.  It would be great if we were camping, but we are not. 

Woke up to 38 F degrees this morning.  Way too cold for much of anything in the garden.  I'll be out to check on my tomato plants (there are a lot of them, so I am concerned).


Yesterday, the last day of May, I thought I picked the last asparagus from the garden.

I then found another one while out working on the garden.  I don't see anymore new shoots, so this should be the end of asparagus this year.

On a good note, the garden fence is up.  It's not perfect, but it looks good. The remainder plants will not be planted until these cold nights warm up, and I am even hesitant to drop any seeds just yet.  It's been a very strange May this year.

I planted some chamomile seeds, not realizing we'd have another night of very cold weather.  I also have already planted two types of radish seeds, two types of swiss chard seeds, and a some Russian Red Kale seeds.

My hands are cut up and dry.  I have not acclimated to garden work yet this year.   I can tell you I'm already in a fight with the 200+foot garden hose too.  It has to be pulled back to the house on mowing days, and my luck, the minute I pull that hose all the way out to the garden, I have to turn around and pull it all back.  

Putting in the garden is also a frustrating time with housework, and meals.  It is so hard to find a balance with cooking/making a proper meal, keeping up with everything indoors, and getting the outdoor work done all at the same time.  My house is a hot mess right now.

I am using anything and everything I have for repairing my dry hands, so crochet work is at a halt right now.  I am too tired to do much of anything by evening, but wash my face and crawl into bed.  I have easily forgotten how much energy you need for this amount of garden work (especially with not much help this year).

I sure hope this is the last cold spurt we have, now that it's June 1st.

Very Cold First Morning of June  ©  June 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

R's Rue said…
I hope it warms up, and you can get some help.
Garden hoses re heavy to drag around. I have the black ones that expand and they are still heavy.
Debi said…
Spring gardening work is very tiring. After forty-ish years I've learned that I don't need to do it everything in the spring. There will be rainy days and days where the garden needs less or no tending for housework to get done. I admit that sometimes it drives me crazy but it is what it is!
Far Side of Fifty, one year we were lucky and we had rain so often that we only had to water a few times.
R's Rue, thanks, we hope to get more progress around here.
Debi, right? I forgot I still have some stuffed bell peppers in the freezer. That will be my go-to dinner and some sandwiches.
Betsy said…
We're supposed to be 94 today and 66 for the high tomorrow! Crazy weather this year. Try not to stress too much. It will all get done eventually.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Betsy, that is crazy weather.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart