Skip to main content

More Rain

 We have not had a day without rain.  It rained all day yesterday, and all night and it's raining this morning.  In fact, I went out to pick asparagus yesterday when I saw we got a slight break, but the rain poured down as I walked to the asparagus patch.  Three stalks of asparagus got picked anyway.

The garden tilling was not done as we were planning yesterday.  May is finicky, so I'm not going to guess.  I'll just keep making back up plans and get other "stuff" done around here.  

I have enjoyed the little bit of porch time (most days have been on the chilly side), sitting and listening to the rain.  The flowers are enjoying the rain too, as well as the herb garden.  I'm just glad we have not planted the vegetable garden yet, although seeds would have been a blessing to have gotten in before this rain.  The evenings are still in the low 40's, and too cold for tomato plants or other vegetable plants.

Right now, it's just a saturated muddy mess, so we can't even get into the garden at all.

More Rain ©  May 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Betsy said…
We also had a few days of rain, two days of sunshine and PERFECT termperatures and tomorrow is rain again. The farmers need it desperately though and the couple of days break gave it time ot soak in. I'm loving the open door and windows too.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
We've had a boat load of rain but it has been mostly hot unless it is actually raining. The humidity is high and some seeds were sown, others not quite yet because I don't want the heavy rain washing them away.
Betsy, we have not had a break from the rain, and it's colder than usual.
Anne in the kitchen, if we had planted vegetable seeds, they would have had to be re-planted again after this dries up (if it does in time). There has been no break in rain nor cold weather this May.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart