Skip to main content

End of April

                 



I've been spring cleaning so to speak.  Really, the entire house needs swept and mopped, so I'm tackling one room a day when I can.  I am moving furniture and washing any rugs.   I have also been washing bed covers/comforters.   The weather is up and down for using the clothesline.

I pampered myself with a home hair treatment.  It saved me  $$ from going to the salon.  Well water is not my hair's best friend.  We all deserve to pamper ourselves.


Another "finish" for April - set of cotton hot pads to donate.


                             

The deer have started to roam the homestead, and we are not happy.  We have not gotten the fencing up (deer jump fence if it's too short).  There has not been time to do it. Heck, we haven't even had time to buy the rest of the supplies to get the job done. 

In the meantime, my garden solar alarms are up.  They will annoy the heck out of them until we can install a garden fence (on the 2nd garden area).

I may just get my donkey yet.  I already have a name picked out too.  They are great protectors, in case you are wondering.  They have legs that can kill a coyote.

Last Sunday we went back to colder weather, with a frost warning.  The morning started with a brisk 35°F.  Not unusual for us.  Monday was 39°F in the early morning, but we warmed up to the lower 70's.


Thankfully, I have the asparagus patch buried with straw for added protection, and it continues to provide for our meals.   I am almost out of all of the pesto I made last summer and froze.  

(chicken with basil pesto, potatoes and garden asparagus)

The freezer has swallowed the Thai basil pesto however.  I shall find it yet, ha ha!  I had it in the door to located quickly, but someone here moved it on me.  Anyway, we are down to that and some red pepper pesto.


By the way, I used my homemade jalapeno salt (first year to make and try this) in this easy egg/sausage/spinach breakfast casserole.  Delicious too.

April did not pass by without adventures, despite my husband's very long work hours.  We found joy in each day, added some new "first time" events to our lives, did a lot of outdoor walking, more small-ish homestead updates, did some foraging, read more books than April of last year, and was so thankful for everything (April of 2024 was a bit of a bummer). 



Comments

R's Rue said…
I love that casserole.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com
The deer not the cloths line...I wish I had cloths lines! Too many birds:)
Far Side of Fifty, I see many animals out here in the country.
Far Side of Fifty, I used to have one more line when all the kids lived here. I tend to run out of space when I do wash bedding.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart