Skip to main content

New Recipe Tried and Other Tidbits




 
I found a few printed recipes in the back of my binder, when I changed them out to new binders recently.  I found a recipe I had printed back in July of 2021, and gave it a try (without reading any reviews).  Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole.

It's delicious.  However, the next time I make this, I will finely dice the sweet potatoes, roast them, and then layer it all to bake.  I found the shredded sweet potatoes gave it a "mushy" bottom texture.  It is very light, and not a "heavy" breakfast.  

The only thing I did different, was that I used real meat instead of the "vegetarian" meat the recipe called for.  Oh, I also added 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground garlic (homemade) for added flavor and some salt and pepper. I found it strange that the recipe did not call for any seasoning at all.  The recipe is still online at allrecipes.


Tidbits. . .

We woke up to 21°F this morning.  The cold has returned, but thankfully no snow this March (like last year).

I have somehow lost my blog writing mojo.  Maybe it's the transition from winter to Spring, with it's back and forth weather?  I don't know, but I just haven't had much to write about this month.

I took advantage of the cooler weather and seasoned our new cast iron pan.  I had asked if anyone had one, and there was no answer, so we are giving it a try.  Even the clerk at the store, gave me her name, and asked for me to give her a review the next time we were in the area (not sure that will happen, ha ha!). Anyway, I will be cooking with it, and if we like it we very well may go back for a 2nd one.   

We are still focusing meals based on what's still providing from last year's garden.  We still have frozen garden vegetables, canned sauces, and of course the copious amounts of green beans.

I have yet to jump on the sourdough bread band-wagon.  We just don't eat bread that often, so two loaves of Amish baked sourdough, went into our freezer.  We have a friend who also bakes it, so I may just buy from her next time (all organic ingredients).  

We are still getting more outdoor walking in this year despite weather changes.  In fact, 100% more than last year (we did not do outdoor walking this  time of year, last year).  In fact, last weekend we walked 3.31 miles (we tracked our distance for health purposes).  My husband's sugar reading tests are much lower, and we are very happy about that.


Our Spring Daffodils continue to emerge, but no actual blooms just yet.

Although the weather is on the chilly side today, there is nothing more invigorating than a deep breath of morning fresh air.  

New Recipe Tried and Other Tidbits  ©  March 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Please let us know how the new pan works after seasoning. I use cast iron regularly, but am interested in a lighter weight pan
Anne in the kitchen, I will be doing an update. I want to use it several times first.
My cast iron skillets and dutch oven are so old...I don't worry about seasoning them anymore. I wash them in soapy water too! Which I heard was a no no:)
Far Side of Fifty, the instructions on this skillet said I did not have to season it (new pan, nitro). It said if I did, it would be even better for the skillet so I did.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart