Skip to main content

Snow ~ Side Story ~ Try It Recipe Update

 

The photo pretty much depicts the recent snow storm.  We did get a slight bit of sunshine yesterday.  I think we got about 3 inches.  My husband finally got to use his drivable mini snowplow (he bought it from an auction a few years ago and never needed it).  He walked in the door that day giggling that he was happy to finally try it out on snow.  Ha!  I have to say it worked perfectly.  All those years I joked he was a collector of such do-hickies, but it sure came in handy for us.

However, I did hand shovel the side patio to get out to tend the hens (there is a side story to this) and get the mail that particular day.  There was 2 foot drifts to get to the coop, and I slipped slightly on the underlying ice (which I didn't see until I shoveled).  Anyway, when I put my right foot down to catch myself, it shot pain right up that already beat up leg.  

I put in a call to our main doctor, and the nurse called me back.  I, and I have no idea how, missed her call.  I think ice packs will ease the agitated leg, but we'll get better advice when the nurse calls me back.  FYI - spikes are back on my boots for the winter.

A big fat squirrel out digging for whatever he/she can find.  An odd sight for winter time.  

I cannot wait for the garden this year.  The cucumbers in the stores are not so good lately.  We have been making very good at keeping the grocery list to fresh fruits and vegetables, and focusing meals on what's in the freezer and pantry.

The temperature remains in the teens, and this is what the egg stand looks like today.  I am thankful they are laying again, but it is very slim pickin's.

Side story about the slip and not falling, and going out to tend the hens.  I get an email almost daily from an old friend (been friends for years).  I mentioned my slip, and shoveling and ice, and her response (no kidding), was to butcher all of my hens, and start over in the spring!!!!!  Just to avoid a slip on the ice!?

It was like she thinks I am a hermit and never needs to leave the house, because I do not "work" outside the home.

I could not believe a good friend would come up with that solution.  Not one bit.  I need new friends, but most winter activities here are in the evenings when my husband comes home from work.  I don't have the equipment for zoom to do  online type meetings (book clubs, Bible study etc) either. 

 Anyway, I was absolutely shocked that all the years I've known her, and that was the only response?  I was just keeping up with recent news, and felt she could have cracked a joke about bubble wrapping me or some other response, but I'm still shocked. 

Okay, off my soapbox.  Thanks for listening to my winter time banter.

I worked a teensy bit on my new project and hope to share soon.  My husband is even happy about it.  I think anyway.

We tried the slow cooker ground turkey stroganoff and it was delicious!  Oh my!  No cream cheese in it.  I used arrowroot powder to thicken it, and made it a comfort food meal with homemade mashed potatoes and extra wide Amish noodles.  I roasted garden green beans from the garden to go with it.  I know it's a sugar spike (potatoes and pasta) for the hub's, but it is about once a year that I make mashed potatoes vs. sweet potatoes.  The recipe is online with Kroll's Korner called Slow Cooker Ground Turkey Stroganoff (use that homemade condensed cream of mushroom for a healthy version).

I never thought about it until I just mentioned mashed potatoes, but those mashed potato squash we grew last year would be absolutely delicious with this too.  Note to self for next year's garden.  Insert happy face.  I have a few small squash left (totally forgot about them). 

Have a fantastic Wednesday.  Find the sunshine in your winter day, and prayers for the people in CA (fires) right now.




Comments

Faith said…
Those winter white mashed squash are pretty good, I'm watching my sugar as well. Rule of thumb, if God grew it, it's natural and good, nutritious...shopping the peramter of the stores, that where the sugar and refined is. Glad you didn't fall, as we age always a good option. Keep your chickens, they bring you joy and supply you with beautiful eggs. I'll be glad when the snow is gone.
Betsy said…
I can just see your husbands excitement ot use his new toy to plow the snow. Mine would have been the same. Now that we're in the condo, I think he actually misses his snowblower!
That suggestion about your chickens was a bit extreme in my opinion. Maybe she was joking. Sometimes if it's a text or email, the context is lost. I hope that was it.
Have a great day!
Blessings,
Betsy
I had never heard of mashed potato squash until you mentioned it on your blog. Now I have been searching for seed, because I obviously need some.
Faith, last summer was the first time to grow the mashed potato squash. We do love them. Yes, glad I did not fall.
Betsy, he was tickled to use it, but we are getting more snow ha ha! No, my friend was serious, and when I told her that was not an option, she literally agreed, but never said she was sorry she said it. Strange and very extreme.
Anne in the kitchen, we love the mashed potato squash. Last summer was the first time to grow it. It is a squash not sold anywhere in the area here.
Elspeth said…
Maybe it was an attempt at sarcasm that didn’t come through via text.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart