Skip to main content

What's Cooking?

 

Got leftover quinoa?

The recipe actually made 8 fritters, but we finally got around to trying them, and we love them!  They are called quinoa-feta fritters with labneh sauce.  You only use 2 Tbsp. of avocado oil to "fry" them.  They also re-heat nicely in an air fryer.  I have not yet tried reheating them on the stove top, but I am guessing it would work as well.

Here is where I used some of that "creamy cheese" (called labneh) with organic greek yogurt.  I made a sauce using the recipe in the same cookbook, with juice from a lemon, dried dill and salt/pepper.

I will be making them again, and they are a great way to use leftover quinoa.

I typically use leftover broth to make the quinoa too.

Leftovers are part of the weekly meal plan around here.

I did not find the recipe online, but in a cook book I borrowed from the library. 

One draw back in making the fritters?  It's messy.  A lot stuck to my hands, so next time, I will lightly grease my hands with avocado oil, while handling the mixture to form the fritters.

I added a bit of fresh kale to ours.  You don't want to add too much, or you will have trouble making a "firm" fritter to fry.


The most recent, very hot days, involved salads.  One of our favorites is a copy cat version of Wendy's chicken apple pecan salads.

However, finding blue cheese that is not expensive has been a chore.  I will be checking the price at Aldi's the next time I am out for errands.  Our main grocery store has it at $5.49 for a measley 5 oz.  I have yet to check Wal-mart or even Meijer too.

They use a pomegrante vinaigratte dressing, and this year, not one store in our area sells the non-gmo dressing.  I will be working on trying some homemade versions of the dressing for this salad.  

If you have a good, homemade recipe for a pomegrante vinaigrette dressing, please share.

Comments

Betsy said…
We have been eating lots of salads this week too as it's been very warm here. I can't get Hubby to eat quinoa at all. He normally eats anything so when he has a dislike I really don't say much since he's very easy to cook for. I think it's the texture he doesn't like.
I hope your day is a beautiful one.
Blessings,
Betsy
Thanks Betsy! Blessings to you too!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart